Cruiser

Author Topic: What fairlead for ARB bar ?  (Read 3576 times)

sysie

What fairlead for ARB bar ?
« on: 27-Aug-13, 11:14 »
Guys ... a few questions..

1. I am planning to get a Dynema rope winch do I HAVE to get a Hawse or will a Roller fairlead work ?
2. Do I need to get an offset Hawse ?
3. With the offset hawse does the lower bolts go through the hawse, through the bar and into the winch ?

Thanks !

JD

« Reply #1 on: 27-Aug-13, 11:22 »
1. I think with a rope a Hawse is recommended.
2. Yes you need an offset hawse
3. I don.t think the bolts go into the winch, it's just a nut and bolt....could be different on different winches I guess.

SAW.

« Reply #2 on: 27-Aug-13, 12:14 »
The ARB bar uses a foot-forward mounting, which means that the lower mount bolts go through the fairlead into the winch.  You will need either an offset hawse fairlead, or a roller fairlead with the holes drilled out lower.

ARB 4x4 Accessories

« Reply #3 on: 08-Oct-13, 10:07 »
Hi Sysie,

If you are using a Hawse Fairlead you’ll need a Hawse Fairlead spacer kit and depending on the hawse you may need to trim the ends to fit in the aperture of the bar.

The spacer kit is required because the depth of hawse fairleads is less than a traditional roller fairlead. If the hawse fairlead is fitted without a spacer on angled pulls the rope will rub on the bar potentially causing rope failure and also rubbing powder coat or paint off the edges.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cass

Hornet FJ

« Reply #4 on: 09-Oct-13, 08:36 »
Quote from: ARB 4x4 Accessories;23264
Hi Sysie,

If you are using a Hawse Fairlead you’ll need a Hawse Fairlead spacer kit and depending on the hawse you may need to trim the ends to fit in the aperture of the bar.

The spacer kit is required because the depth of hawse fairleads is less than a traditional roller fairlead. If the hawse fairlead is fitted without a spacer on angled pulls the rope will rub on the bar potentially causing rope failure and also rubbing powder coat or paint off the edges.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cass

Hi Cass,
Is a spacer commonly available or an ARB thing? Can you tell me the approx price?
Cheers,
Hornet

JD

« Reply #5 on: 09-Oct-13, 09:03 »
Why is ARB different?  It's a real pain to have to source something special when 90% of winches these days are rope with a hawse fairlead (centre drilled).

Almost as bad as the terrible lights ARB use in their bars ;)

(Sorry Cass, it is good to have an ARB person posting and I don't mean to have a go, but some of the things ARB do are frustrating and it seems for no good reason!)

ARB 4x4 Accessories

« Reply #6 on: 10-Oct-13, 16:10 »
Hi guys,

The spacer kits used for ARB bars are ARB specific ($83 East coast metro pricing), and intended as a means of fitting the many different sizes and styles of winch into an ARB bar safely, neatly and without rubbing on the sharp edges of the bar which would cause weakness in the rope as I mentioned in my previous post.

ARB bars were designed to fit Warn winches directly into the bar sitting feet forward, as opposed to feet down.  Because of this variation, it is necessary to reposition the fairlead to more evenly distribute the pressure from winching and avoid rope weak points created by this pressure.  In general, the feet forward position is different to Warn’s original mounting as ARB bars were designed to have the winch sit within the bar as opposed to many of the American bars (Warn being an American brand) which have the winches sitting on top of the bar.  Essentially, ARB’s fitment is different to maximise the winches which can be fitted to our bars but also to maximise the safety and lifespan of winches and ropes that our customers use.

Cheers,
Cass

Cruiser