Cruiser

Author Topic: "I've Seen the Light" ... or; More Boys Toys  (Read 292 times)

dad

This site contains reams of info on Driving Lights, Camping Lights, LED's of all descriptions etc., but little about a very personal illumination device. The humble Torch

My grandfather allowed me to hold his precious double 'D' battery torch around the fire and go Possum spotting. This was followed by my Dad buying me my first Dolphin 6 Volt. Wow  :smitten:

Today I shouted myself a Nitecore MH41 2150 lumen XHP50 rechargeable Search Light ....
.... you read correctly "Searchlight"

As Crocodile Dundee said about his knife, the "Now THIS is a torch"  :wink:  certainly applies to this baby.

For the Torch Fan Techs:
Lumens 2150
Max Beam Distance 495m
Max Intensity 61400cd
Max Runtime 850 hr
Waterproof to 2m

The damn thing can burn trees down at 200m but then all I had to compare it with was our Dolphins at 50-60 lumens

Cheers
Illuminated dad  :smileyblink:

GazLaz

Re: "I've Seen the Light" ... or; More Boys Toys
« Reply #1 on: 11-Aug-17, 15:04 »
The obscure title makes it hard to find 😁
https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php?topic=1449.0

Shaun

« Reply #2 on: 11-Aug-17, 18:05 »
Look at diving torches next time your looking. I have a few they are outrageously bright.

Lunchietey

« Reply #3 on: 12-Aug-17, 21:43 »
All I ever use are dolphins (the new led version). Funny how the old bulb dolphin was a great torch but now everyone 'needs' a portable sun to do anything anymore.

You can leave them on for DAYS (6v dolphin) and they're still going. Even the little pocket dolphin (single AA battery) is very handy. All Bright enough for anything I need a torch for and no wierd chargers or anything (just chuck another rechargeable AA in)

Gotta try the new 4 led version soon. Did I mention they are cheap?

Have had a couple of high performance lithium torches but they're just hiding in drawers now, high brightness isn't really necessary if you allow your night vision to adjust. The extra brightness just makes you dependant on the torch and takes longer again for your eyes to adjust. But that's just my oppinion.

dad

« Reply #4 on: 13-Aug-17, 11:34 »
It's just Horses for Courses Lunchietey, in my case I'm just the labourer to the resident photographer  who does some nocturnal shoots.
The fire breathing MH41 is an overkill but fun.

We have dinner done sitting around the fire by dark with lights off generally.

As for LEDs I used camphor and small round $5 LED units from the Reject Shop to ward off cable chewing nocturnal critters in the Simpson. One morning I forgot to get it out in the rush with rain coming and I reckon of at night it will be still shinning somewhere in the desert  :happynod:

Cheers

dad

Lunchietey

« Reply #5 on: 13-Aug-17, 19:29 »
Try the mini dolphin that takes a single AA. They're only $7 or something stupid so I keep one in every glovebox and a couple in the house. Great for the oh crap I need a torch moments.

Way better than those little 9 led type metal torches you find near checkouts etc. Very durable and waterproof like their big brother.

Oh yeah I love the big torches but led tech has reached the point where some are just insanely bright and in some cases dangerous!

I guess the multi brightness thing helps but I've seen some that burn paper and are literally able to throw a beam over half a km. Crazy stuff!

SkinnySteve

« Reply #6 on: 13-Aug-17, 20:15 »
Call me a glass half full person, but there's a downside to all this and that's finding a quiet, dark spot to camp, with no light pollution.  Nothing worse than stargazing on a clear moonless night and having someone turn a spotlight on you and ask what you're doing.

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #7 on: 13-Aug-17, 21:39 »
I've got a couple Led lenser P7R's (rechargeable) which do quite well, good battery life, bright AF but there is a half setting. Good size, not to large, not too small. Always have one with me either in the FJ or in a backpack with camera gear.

dad

« Reply #8 on: 14-Aug-17, 10:50 »
Call me a glass half full person, but there's a downside to all this and that's finding a quiet, dark spot to camp, with no light pollution.  Nothing worse than stargazing on a clear moonless night and having someone turn a spotlight on you and ask what you're doing.

Very True Steve, we have rarely fellow campers due to the remoteness we love. If there is anyone but us we respect their right to serenity.

Made the mistake of camping at Wonnangatta during Rusa shooting season. Luckily for us the Spot Lighters had a good searchlight that found our tent before taking a shot.

Cheers

dad

dad

« Reply #9 on: 14-Aug-17, 11:02 »
Try the mini dolphin that takes a single AA. They're only $7
Oh yeah I love the big torches but led tech has reached the point where some are just insanely bright and in some cases dangerous!

I guess the multi brightness thing helps but I've seen some that burn paper and are literally able to throw a beam over half a km. Crazy stuff!

Two cheap single AA torches are being the Navigators seat - your right; just too handy!

re "dangerous"
I gave the MH41 a work out last night into the Gum Trees in the adjacent reserve. About 100m to the tree tops which turned into a sea of light on 'Turbo' so I backed off to 2 clicks down and was still impressed. However ....

.... I did notice after about 10 - 15min the head became increasingly hot. I let it cool and started again possum spotting and after 8-10minutes notice that heat again - short bursts on 'Turbo' (High) in future

Cheers

dad