Cruiser

Author Topic: Sunday 13th August Monkey Gum  (Read 406 times)

MarkieMark96

Sunday 13th August Monkey Gum
« on: 07-Aug-17, 17:42 »
Anyone here keen on the idea of doing Monkey Gum track (Near Nowra) either day this weekend?

A few of us discussed doing this when we didn't have time to do it in July I think?

Camping Saturday night at Grady's to do it Sunday is a good option to for those who like camping.

**UPDATE**

Title of trip: Sunday 13th Monkey Gum

Trip Location / Area: Nowra

Date: Sunday, 13th August

Meet up time: 10:30am

Meeting point: https://goo.gl/maps/ZU16HHW4hmM2 (Yalwal Road where the power lines pass over)

Trip Overview: Meet at TBA location, head to start of trail as a convoy, stop for lunch, continue on until the end

Trip Map: https://goo.gl/G2hov6

Facilities: N/A

Difficulty Rating: Medium-Hard

Equipment Requirements: Comments suggest it can be done in a stock FJ, however, Tyres, Lift, Rock Sliders and UVP will assist with keeping your car mint

Maximum number of Attendees: N/A

Additional Notes:

Attendees List:
01. MarkieMark96
02. Milesfj
03. Ducky
04. andmcl (Maybe)

« Last Edit: 11-Aug-17, 12:44 by MarkieMark96 »

Miles fj

Re: 12/13th August Monkey Gum
« Reply #1 on: 07-Aug-17, 20:39 »
Tempting....

MarkieMark96

« Reply #2 on: 07-Aug-17, 20:47 »
Can you provide some info on the difficulty of it for those passing through this thread that are unsure Claude? From memory yourself and another did do it before dusk in July

RedFJC

« Reply #3 on: 07-Aug-17, 21:28 »
It's not a 'difficult' track, just very technical in places, it would be a fairly long day in the wet and would probably require winching in certain areas. There's a few places that would require spotting to get the best line and I wouldn't do the track without at least UVP at a minimum, sliders and good tyres would help a lot. In the wet I think it would be very difficult to do without very aggressive all terrains or mud terrains. I'd come along but have got heaps on over the next few weeks. 

Whitefj

« Reply #4 on: 07-Aug-17, 21:51 »
I'm leaving for New Zealand on Thursday morning otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat!

MarkieMark96

« Reply #5 on: 08-Aug-17, 09:00 »
Thanks Red,

Weather outlook seems to indicate it should be dry all week and all weekend so besides the morning Dew should be fairly good conditions wise.

nadvans

« Reply #6 on: 08-Aug-17, 09:33 »
It is a great track, especially if you have never done it before.
Technical and becomes rather difficult in the wet. The FJ eats it up very well, but the driver needs a degree of confidence or trust in the spotter.
Don't have to camp if you don't want to - it is OK to start the track around 10am, so possible to drive up in the morning.

MarkieMark96, I am assuming from your questions that you have not done it before.
Please let me know if you would like some pointers or guidance.

Miles fj

« Reply #7 on: 08-Aug-17, 10:24 »
IMO, in general it is a difficult track, many 4x4 do carry scars from it. This said I agree with what Boris (Nadvans) said, the FJ eats it up very well....and yes it is fun.....
I have a friend that have done it in his stock FJ (just rock slider fitted) no fancy tyres, original lift....but an experience driver.
I will contact a couple of friends to see if they would turn up. Meeting at 10 am on Sunday is plenty

Ducky

« Reply #8 on: 09-Aug-17, 10:10 »
I am interested.

Miles fj

« Reply #9 on: 09-Aug-17, 12:47 »
@MarkieMark96  I just wanted to confirm that I will be coming this Sunday, at this stage my FJ only. Can we meet on Sunday around 10.30am 11am. I cannot come on the Saturday.

andmcl

« Reply #10 on: 09-Aug-17, 21:58 »
I'd be keen for Sunday - have to check something first.
Put me down as a "maybe"

MarkieMark96

Re: Sunday 13th August Monkey Gum
« Reply #11 on: 10-Aug-17, 08:25 »
Thanks All,

Just updated my first post to have the trip details template filled out and included.

All I need left to cover off is a good meeting spot, I'm not local to Nowra so not sure of anything but a petrol station or a Maccas as a meeting spot, anyone know of a good one?

Paul KAZ

« Reply #12 on: 11-Aug-17, 11:34 »
Under the power lines on Yalwal Rd is where we have met up before.  :happydude:

Miles fj

« Reply #13 on: 11-Aug-17, 12:16 »
Under the power lines on Yalwal Rd is where we have met up before.  :happydude:

That will be good with me...this is the powerlines on Dean's gap road, as a warning there are several area under the power line ! but one have a large area on the side to park.
If this meeting point suit MarkieMark96 at what time there ? Thanks

MarkieMark96

« Reply #14 on: 11-Aug-17, 12:46 »
Sounds good to me, I have updated the original post again with the location on Google Maps, 10:30am will be the meetup time to be there.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZU16HHW4hmM2

I recall from when we stopped there to air down on our recent trip there, there was a bit of mobile reception so if anyone wants my mobile for anything send me a PM.

andmcl: Are you able to confirm yet if you are coming?

Miles fj

« Reply #15 on: 11-Aug-17, 14:49 »
The spot showing on your link is a lot more north, since I am coming from the south, I will be at the intersection of Dean's gap Rd and Mintbush trail, that will save me a few km up and down !
If I understood, you will take Yalwal rd, then turn into Dean gap, then right into Mintbush....if it is correct, that is where I will be.
Channel  16 ?
See you then, pm send

MarkieMark96

« Reply #16 on: 11-Aug-17, 15:07 »
Yes, you are correct for our route to get to you, will see you there.

And yep Channel 16 sounds good, I imagine it will take us about 15 to get to you.

Paul KAZ

« Reply #17 on: 11-Aug-17, 15:23 »
 :Driver: Have fun & make sure ya get some pics to post 😎

RedFJC

« Reply #18 on: 11-Aug-17, 17:06 »
Very tempting..... Will text you Sunday morning if I'm coming.

andmcl

« Reply #19 on: 12-Aug-17, 20:57 »
Sounds good to me, I have updated the original post again with the location on Google Maps, 10:30am will be the meetup time to be there.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZU16HHW4hmM2

I recall from when we stopped there to air down on our recent trip there, there was a bit of mobile reception so if anyone wants my mobile for anything send me a PM.

andmcl: Are you able to confirm yet if you are coming?

Hi mate, sorry for the late confirmation - I won't be able to make it tomorrow.
Enjoy!

MarkieMark96

« Reply #20 on: 14-Aug-17, 08:15 »
All in all a great trip, Thanks Claude and Lee. Claude took some photos so I will post some of those once they come through.

We all made it out unscathed but came across some who didn't!

IMG_2996.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

Ducky

« Reply #21 on: 14-Aug-17, 10:30 »
Was a great day, conditions probably couldn't have been any better, thanks Mark for organizing this run and thanks Claude for leading the way!

Miles fj

« Reply #22 on: 14-Aug-17, 19:32 »
What a day it was, dry as, nearly no one this time, just the 3 of us enjoying that amazing track. I will let Mark post a few pictures but here are just a taste....

No, that track is not easy but what a roll...:)
a1.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

:smileyblink:
a2.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

And then Ducky started to show off his new suspension
a3.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

And Mark gave it a try !
a4.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

What a climb
a5.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

a6.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

a7.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

Almost forgot, Ducky decided to not use the duck track, sorry chicken track and .... to be continued....
a8.jpgSunday 13th August Monkey Gum

hmr73

« Reply #23 on: 15-Aug-17, 10:15 »
Monkey Gum is always a good trip.  I will let you guys know when I do 6 Stage.  I planning to do Dusty's again as well.

Nice one

Cheers

Herison

Miles fj

« Reply #24 on: 15-Aug-17, 10:53 »
Monkey Gum is always a good trip.  I will let you guys know when I do 6 Stage.  I planning to do Dusty's again as well.

Nice one

Cheers

Herison

I will be watching for your trip thread....