Cruiser

Author Topic: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??  (Read 8954 times)

LEVz_

Re: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??
« Reply #625 on: 09-Aug-17, 20:16 »
Booked it in for a service, needs a wash too...

andmcl

« Reply #626 on: 09-Aug-17, 20:22 »
Finally got my Blackhawk UCA's in!

JoeBellido

« Reply #627 on: 09-Aug-17, 21:21 »
Booked it in for a service, needs a wash too...

Pre summit wash and service?

LEVz_

« Reply #628 on: 09-Aug-17, 21:32 »
Pre summit wash and service?

I wish, no summit for me!

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #629 on: 10-Aug-17, 10:53 »
I wish, no summit for me!
:boohoo:  :boohoo:  :boohoo:

Getdan

« Reply #630 on: 11-Aug-17, 10:27 »
Drove to work this morning....wishing I was still driving through Finke Gorge, or just hanging out at Boggy hole

dad

« Reply #631 on: 11-Aug-17, 11:00 »
Top dressed Carlovers with red clay after a week and a half in Nadvans Country, the Oberon Plateau and thereabouts. Got home and had the mandatory peep underneath and dragged out a branch wedged into the bash plate. The MTZ's seem to love bringing home firewood ;)

Cheers

dad

Russell

« Reply #632 on: 11-Aug-17, 23:00 »
Watched the sunrise at Poeppels corner ,drove across a desert, drove up a big sand hill, and had a beer in the Birdsville pub .... 
DSC_0004.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * DSC_0004.jpg
(110.36 kB, 1024x682)

andmcl

« Reply #633 on: 12-Aug-17, 06:08 »
Watched the sunrise at Poeppels corner ,drove across a desert, drove up a big sand hill, and had a beer in the Birdsville pub ....

Sounds horrible!

morro

« Reply #634 on: 12-Aug-17, 12:15 »
got my sas'd fj engineerd and regod for nsw  :happythumbsup:  :happythumbsup:

Hemsy

« Reply #635 on: 12-Aug-17, 18:07 »
Almost finished packing for my WA trip. Today reminded me how much smaller FJs are than my previous Land Cruisers. Might need to rethink all my gear upon return as I'm pretty tight for space!
IMG_2217.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * IMG_2217.jpg
(144.64 kB, 768x1024)
IMG_2220.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * IMG_2220.jpg
(92.74 kB, 768x1024)
IMG_2219.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * IMG_2219.jpg
(129.62 kB, 768x1024)

drwormy

« Reply #636 on: 12-Aug-17, 22:34 »
Fitted my new custom valved rear Ironman Pros (replaced Bilstein 1478LTs). They weigh in pretty heavy, so it wasnt as easy as fitting Bilsteins for eg.

WOW, what a massive difference....and thats coming from something that handed really well to start with.  The increased critical valving means there is no body roll - flatout around a roundabout.  It handles better than my little Yaris for that.  Speedhumps are a lot of fun, though im missing some ciritical damping in my front struts before trying to jump them ( I was also being followed by a cop car with his lights off, so eased home!).

Nuke

« Reply #637 on: 13-Aug-17, 12:38 »
(Fitted my new custom valved rear Ironman Pros (replaced Bilstein 1478LTs).

Nice!...so with custom valving did you opt for an even bigger difference between compression and rebound than the Billys and were you just looking for better onroad manners or do you think they'll be better offroad as well?

Daunted

« Reply #638 on: 13-Aug-17, 19:20 »
Spent most of the day driving around Mt Mee checking the place out.  There were a couple of tracks that I decided not to continue down (no other cars with us and having a 4 month old in the back makes the choice for us).  No mud anywhere except for one tiny section that you had to drive off the main path for.  A Mitsubishi decided to try it and realised it was deeper and boggier than they thought.  We turned up as someone else was snatching them out.

A nice day out with the family and pretty easy driving.

drwormy

« Reply #639 on: 13-Aug-17, 23:12 »
Details of the valving is kinda given here:

http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?40097-Ironman-Foam-Cell-Pros-%96-long-travel-hydraulic-shocks-for-the-Prado-rear

And ive asked Mark to fix the Photobucket problem.  Its optimized for around 2.7 T vehicle - so touring weight for offroad conditions and obstacles.  Mark even looked at modeling the quarter car models.

The valving is around the same at high speeds (~0.5 m/sec), but the curve differs a fair bit at low velocity, so as to get close to 90% theoretical critical damping (Im assuming underdamped, critical damped and over damped are concepts that are understood).  Mainly I noticed the low velocity damping in cornering.... thats a slow response, and if the damping is increased the rear wont roll.  This made a big difference compared to the 1478LTs... the rear is dead flat through roundabouts. Everyone who has ridden in before / after notices the difference.  Also noticed it when trying to do speedbumps / obstacles at any speed.  The rear settles heaps faster.  I really pushed it a few times and could start to tell the lack of critical damping in the front limiting the handling.  I didnt want to buy new struts, but now i know the difference its going to be hard not too!! 

I did this purely for off road manners, and also cause they hold twice the oil of the Bilsteins (which did get too hot to touch in the rear and fade in the Simpson) and dont heat up in any test ive seen.  The idea is to control pitching of the vehicle... which bumps in the Simpson etc are notorious for causing.  IF there is much more valving at low velocity, when the shaft is slow, the amplitude of the motion will be lower.  Its also easier to dissipate slower, lower energy perturbations.

With the matching critically damped fronts the performance of this valving is (to me) unbelievable.  Better than any Icon and Kings setup ive ridden in.... then again i have only been in limited terrains.  They tend to give a 'plusher' feeling onroad... which the custom valving does not. Where it isnt perfect is small oscillations on a very flat surface (so slow, small amplitude, and the vehicle catches it)...it doesnt bother me, as 1. you really have to know what your looking for to notice, and 2. It might happen every 30 secs or more.
« Last Edit: 13-Aug-17, 23:16 by drwormy »

Russell

« Reply #640 on: 13-Aug-17, 23:21 »
Today I called into Camerons corner , that completes 6 post markers = 5 corners plus the Geo centre of Aus in  one trip .... thanks
DSC_0020.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * DSC_0020.jpg
(90.18 kB, 659x1024)

Lowlander

« Reply #641 on: 13-Aug-17, 23:25 »
Done the BMC.....

RedFJC

« Reply #642 on: 14-Aug-17, 08:17 »
Finally fitted my 4row 20 inch light bar and gme uhf yesterday arvo ! I don't know how I drove without the light now it's on.

andmcl

« Reply #643 on: 14-Aug-17, 08:21 »
Missed out on the Monkey Gum trip, so sat the newborn in the front yard and he watched me add some awning brackets to the roof rack, give the car a good tub inside and out and install the UltraGauge and iDrive throttle thingy

Nuke

« Reply #644 on: 14-Aug-17, 20:12 »
Almost finished packing for my WA trip. Today reminded me how much smaller FJs are than my previous Land Cruisers. Might need to rethink all my gear upon return as I'm pretty tight for space!

Don't take the Rok out!  :crybye:

sysie

« Reply #645 on: 15-Aug-17, 13:35 »

Got Stuck in a very very  soft river crossing and recovered :-)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApFH_uV0KIoQiP8wYAyEpCPUPfhQ6Q

oz-strom

« Reply #646 on: 15-Aug-17, 16:48 »
Had a ECB alloy bullbar and Runva winch fitted last Friday.  Nice bit of kit :-)

Voodoo11

« Reply #647 on: 16-Aug-17, 16:20 »
g'Day,
fitted some bonnet vents...

http://imgur.com/D8r9Y4S

Nuke

« Reply #648 on: 16-Aug-17, 21:14 »
g'Day,

Yeah...I like it. That's ballsy.

I've been seriously considering fitting FJ40 Bonnet catches and side door hinges...anyone know if this has been done before?

:Thinking:  Pretty sure I've seen them in stainless too.

Voodoo11

« Reply #649 on: 16-Aug-17, 22:21 »
g'Day,

Yeah...I like it. That's ballsy.

I've been seriously considering fitting FJ40 Bonnet catches and side door hinges...anyone know if this has been done before?

:Thinking:  Pretty sure I've seen them in stainless too.

Thanks mate,
I like the finished look. They were clean AL silver, but I painted them to suit.

Not seen any one fitting 40 catches or side hinges to a J.
That would look sweet....although I am not sure how the hinges would actually work...
But the bonnet catches would look great.

Cheers
Baz

Cruiser