Cruiser

Author Topic: TJM T13 bar install  (Read 17493 times)

drwormy

Re: TJM T13 bar install
« Reply #125 on: 12-Aug-17, 15:07 »
Which side?  Passenger is closer to the battery, drivers is closer to the....driver!!

Can you access the wired plug?  Can you post some pics of how you mounted it?

I fitted mine in the bar at the ends, just unbolt the panel and you will see plenty of room.

GazLaz

« Reply #126 on: 12-Aug-17, 20:06 »
Which side?  Passenger is closer to the battery, drivers is closer to the....driver!!

Can you access the wired plug?  Can you post some pics of how you mounted it?
It is on the passenger side with the wired controller plugged in and just behind the battery.  I also put a wireless kit in the solenoid box. To mount it  just wedged it in and used long cable ties and some hdpe foam.  I intended to work a better way out but it has been fine.
I extended the cables too.
Sorry i didnt take photos.

dad

« Reply #127 on: 13-Aug-17, 10:06 »
A minor point re TJM T13 Bars. If you have a look from the 'right front wheel level' towards the Bar, you'll notice a considerable gap with a good view of the winch. Particularly the Terminals.
I attached approx. 160mm X 50mm X 6mm rubber slips covering left and right gaps. The right side critical.

Every clay trip since I've washed off up to 20mm of clay off these protection strips which otherwise would have went directly into the winch cavity. At Fraser, as another example, the protection strips worked preventing the ingress of salt and sand.

Cheers

dad

drwormy

« Reply #128 on: 01-Oct-17, 11:18 »
Just a quick FYI.

I took my T13 bar off yesterday to fit a winch.... getting the lower guard off was a PITA.... two bolts had seized due to rust and the nutserts were spinning.  Was a right pain to get off.

Looks like the nutserts are zinc coated steel.  Was only the ones located right in the mount point (where i guess moisture would harder to get away).

Im going to replace with stainless nuts where i can, and then stainless nutserts. 

I can imagine this could be a bit of an issue if stuck in bush and needing to do something to the winch etc.  I was going to mount the control box in the corner well.... now i think itll go on top.

Andy D

« Reply #129 on: 01-Oct-17, 13:11 »
The nutserts are probably my most least favourite part of the TJM bar, aside from having to take the whole bar off to get the winch out.
Surely welding some nuts on before powder coating would be a better option in the long term. Probable costs a few extra bucks in the manufacturing process.

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #130 on: 05-Oct-17, 09:22 »
Yes, I now have a couple of bolts that I can't undo due to spinning nutserts   :boohoo:

dad

« Reply #131 on: 08-Oct-17, 14:27 »
Don't forget to cut up and attach some 8mm rubber 70 X 200 strips to prevent salt, sand and mud driven into your winch cavity via the gaps which are easy to see through the wheel arch - no cooling issues

Cheers

dad

drwormy

« Reply #132 on: 08-Oct-17, 17:43 »
Got any photos of your handy work Dad?

I am just at the stage of thinking about this

Don't forget to cut up and attach some 8mm rubber 70 X 200 strips to prevent salt, sand and mud driven into your winch cavity via the gaps which are easy to see through the wheel arch - no cooling issues

Cheers

dad

Andy D

« Reply #133 on: 09-Oct-17, 10:34 »
I was thinking of drilling out those nutserts and replacing them with some 'bolt clips' like these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pack-of-25-Stainless-Steel-Bolts-Spring-U-Nuts-Clips-m6-Fairing-Panel-Bolt-Clip-/130961705121
It does mean that there is a small gap between the panels but a thin strip of rubber would probably fill that.
I'd just have to find clips that fit well.

dad

« Reply #134 on: 09-Oct-17, 16:19 »
Got any photos of your handy work Dad?

I am just at the stage of thinking about this

Nothing complex Dr just a lump of rubber that covers the gap.

Cheers

dad

drwormy

« Reply #135 on: 09-Oct-17, 17:34 »
I'm not sure which gap you refer to.
 At the bottom where the braces are I can imagine...but wheel well??

Nothing complex Dr just a lump of rubber that covers the gap.

Cheers

dad

dad

« Reply #136 on: 10-Oct-17, 18:41 »
I'm not sure which gap you refer to.
 At the bottom where the braces are I can imagine...but wheel well??

I assume you have a T13, and a winch, if so, stick your head in front of your right front tyre.
You will see the winch terminals via a gap which will fill with everything you don't want in there if not covered.

Cheers

dad

Off Grid

« Reply #137 on: 10-Oct-17, 20:16 »
High tensile steel bull-bar and zinc plated flimsy steel "nutserts" relying on interference fit friction? - A chemical recipe for corrosion and eventual failure. Never mind vibration!
TJM: What were you thinking?
Nothing exceeds like excess - 316 Stainless harware, Nylocks and Loctite.
Problem solved.

GazLaz

« Reply #138 on: 10-Oct-17, 23:00 »
If you use 316 you will then get corrosion at the bolt hole instead.
Hi tensile steel would be the way to go but only if the section is exposed to stress otherwise it is overkill.

Andy D

« Reply #139 on: 11-Oct-17, 18:18 »
Problem is getting to the nuts on the inside.
It's virtually inaccessible with the plates on and guard liners attached.

Cruiser