Cruiser

Author Topic: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??  (Read 11329 times)

sysie

2017: What did you do with your FJ today??
« on: 02-Jan-17, 01:03 »
I took mine for a drive through Cape Arid NP ... Loved driving the FJ on those sweeping dirt tracks through the park..

Shaun

Re: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??
« Reply #1 on: 02-Jan-17, 19:25 »
Fitted my MSA side drop slide and it certainly isn't working like the you tube vids, even loaded up the fridge and it still doesn't drop without some persuasion.

It catches on the left hand side as well so can't get it to return to the top without some pushing and shoving.

Pain really as you can't really test it until it's fitted. Results in a lot of F'ing and blinding!

Angling FJ

« Reply #2 on: 02-Jan-17, 20:09 »
Packed it to the gills and headed up to Bright. Ready to spend the next 7 days in the vic high country with the good folk of Great Divide Tours.

RedFJC

« Reply #3 on: 02-Jan-17, 20:25 »
Quote from: Angling FJ;143993
Packed it to the gills and headed up to Bright. Ready to spend the next 7 days in the vic high country with the good folk of Great Divide Tours.

Ian who owns the 100 series cruiser is a bloody good bloke with plenty of experience, I know him and Alex personally through work.

Angling FJ

« Reply #4 on: 02-Jan-17, 20:34 »
Quote from: RedFJC;143996
Ian who owns the 100 series cruiser is a bloody good bloke with plenty of experience, I know him and Alex personally through work.

Don't think there's an Ian in our group but I have a feeling there is another group but I'll keep my eye out.

Wobbly

« Reply #5 on: 03-Jan-17, 00:05 »
Spent a few days in the riverland

WennyBenman

« Reply #6 on: 03-Jan-17, 15:38 »
Installed my on-board air (ARB CMKA12)

Adrock

« Reply #7 on: 03-Jan-17, 22:05 »
Got some new boots put on. Previously had the MT ATZ and was pretty happy with them so went with the MTZ as I'm not driving it as much as I used to and figured I could deal with the extra noise. Couldn't really tell any difference to be honest. Also got an aftermarket muffler fitted which sounds a bit better. Pretty sure I've got at least an extra 1/2 KW from it too. :Hehe:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10956477/IMG_3901.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10956477/IMG_3903.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10956477/IMG_3911.jpeg

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #8 on: 03-Jan-17, 22:22 »
First annual service (2nd service I guess).
Had it a couple days over a year now.

GazLaz

« Reply #9 on: 03-Jan-17, 23:32 »
Quote from: Adrock;144042
Got some new boots put on. Previously had the MT ATZ and was pretty happy with them so went with the MTZ as I'm not driving it as much as I used to and figured I could deal with the extra noise. Couldn't really tell any difference to be honest. Also got an aftermarket muffler fitted which sounds a bit better. Pretty sure I've got at least an extra 1/2 KW from it too. :Hehe:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10956477/IMG_3901.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10956477/IMG_3903.jpeg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10956477/IMG_3911.jpeg

Nice van too :Cool:

Off Grid

« Reply #10 on: 04-Jan-17, 00:09 »
Installed an 8 Tonne tow hitch to help recover all those Never-ahh!, MazDOH!, Bitsamissing and Colonraider/I-sues-U, Landr-Over drivers.. for the price of a cold beer!
Subarus - Really, what were you thinking? Stay stuck wherever Subaru are.
« Last Edit: 04-Jan-17, 00:14 by LostBoy »

JoeBellido

« Reply #11 on: 04-Jan-17, 10:50 »
Explored the tracks of West Cape Howe! Steep, soft and scratchy, so much fun.

Whitefj

« Reply #12 on: 05-Jan-17, 22:03 »
Quote from: WennyBenman;144026
Installed my on-board air (ARB CMKA12)

Very neat install. Is that the standard bracket or something you made yourself?

sysie

« Reply #13 on: 06-Jan-17, 16:50 »
Spend the morning on the tools installing a pre-loved set of Icon 2.5 rear piggyback shocks that I got of gumtree

The Bilstein 24-237024 (LT)  I had in were a pretty hard ride. The ICON shocks have about 40k km behind them... Very similar to the Bilsteins I took out.. The Icons still looks new but the Bilsteins is showing a hard life.

Very noticeable is the  difference in shaft thickness..

The install was pretty straight forward..

The ride is very noticeably smoother and softer... Exactly what I was after...

I am happy

Miles fj

« Reply #14 on: 07-Jan-17, 19:26 »
Went to Summernats...what a day :)

Daunted

« Reply #15 on: 08-Jan-17, 23:45 »
Loaded up the FJ with drinks and sandwiches, a wife and a child and went for a drive.  We ended up going down to Condamine Track.  Crossed the river 14 times in the 20km track.  The crossings aren't deep, nothing above the sills and the river bed is very solid.  No need to use 4wd however I did use it, just to say that the front diff has been used.  It was pretty busy though.  It looked like there might have been a few club runs today and several family picnics happening.  We saw two groups of at least 10 cars each driving through.  Also lots of little groups of two or three moving through.

It was a nice relaxing drive and I would definitely go down again for a longer day.  I would only suggest getting down there early if you want a picnic.

Rawmouth

« Reply #16 on: 09-Jan-17, 17:17 »
Did the air box mod, well yesterday.

Sounds a lot more throaty and more feels more responsive. In my head? Not sure, but I like it!

On another note, I realised how many bugs were in the cyclonic extractor bit, so I may get a snorkel pre filter thingy and put it on to counteract the extra bugs in my main filter. Anyone have these and do they negate the extra performance I have just gained out of doing the mod?

dano_mung

« Reply #17 on: 10-Jan-17, 16:35 »
Bugs shouldn't really be a problem for the filter as they are so big compared to the dust etc you really want to make sure stays out.

Unless you are filling the airbox with bugs and they then start chewing your air filter <(sarcastic, and completely unlikely), a prefilter is only going to slow the air down more and negate what you just did removing the stock restriction.
I you're desperate to keep bugs out you could try putting some fine stainless mesh on the snorkel head to keep them out, just don't go too fine as it might block up completely.

Rawmouth

« Reply #18 on: 10-Jan-17, 18:03 »
Quote from: dano_mung;144250
Bugs shouldn't really be a problem for the filter as they are so big compared to the dust etc you really want to make sure stays out.

Unless you are filling the airbox with bugs and they then start chewing your air filter <(sarcastic, and completely unlikely), a prefilter is only going to slow the air down more and negate what you just did removing the stock restriction.
I you're desperate to keep bugs out you could try putting some fine stainless mesh on the snorkel head to keep them out, just don't go too fine as it might block up completely.

Cheers for that, I hadn't though of it but I may look into the stainless mesh idea.  :Idea:

I was thinking of doing the pre filter, but dry (Cleaned of oil) as there was probably half a cup of dried up bugs in there and some of them had already made their way to the paper filter.

Seems like my dealer may have neglected to clear them out... Granted I should have looked as well considering it has done around 45k

sydneysally99

« Reply #19 on: 10-Jan-17, 18:30 »
Dropped George off at the panel beaters to get my little white slash removed from the passenger door.  Told the young bloke who booked it in (again) that even tho this is the second time in less than 12 months that the passenger door has been in for repairs (neither have been my fault), I DID NOT want him to paint a target on the door!   :Hehe:

He should be back by Friday - then new rubber goes on.  BGF KO2's in 265/7/R17 - price was better down here in Sydney than up the country - and availability was great too.

Then back up the bush for a week or two.

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #20 on: 10-Jan-17, 18:52 »
Quote from: sydneysally99;144258
He should be back by Friday - then new rubber goes on.  BGF KO2's in 265/7/R17 - price was better down here in Sydney than up the country.

The AT22's finally wore out did they N?
Good choice of roady, though now it won't be such a straight forward decision when to switch over to the muds  :Twitch:

WennyBenman

« Reply #21 on: 10-Jan-17, 20:06 »
Quote from: Whitefj;144119
Very neat install. Is that the standard bracket or something you made yourself?

This is something I made up as I wasn't 100% on mounting a flat plate to the round wheel arch, nor drilling holes (many have and so it's just a personal preference thing really).  The bracket is just a piece of aluminium plate with some angle pop riveted on the base.  It mounts to the 2 existing threaded holes on the guard and another on the wheel arch where you can access the underside to fit a nut on.  A couple of spacers to make it all line up and some anti-vibration rubber ensures it pretty stable.

A few extra pics too;

Angling FJ

« Reply #22 on: 10-Jan-17, 22:14 »
Have just spent the past seven days in the Vic High Country finally testing out the fj and all the bits and pieces that we've added to it. While the trip is a bit of a blur some of the highlights were, Blue Rag, Billy Goats Bluff, The Pinnacles, Herne Hill, Zeka Spur, Howitt Plains and too many river crossings to name.

I have received a lot of help through the club getting the fj kitted out and so I thought I'd do a quick wrap up of the things we learnt and loved. (Happy for this to be moved if this is not the right spot for the post)

Drifta Drawers - these things were so seamless in use that it wasn't until I watched others moving and sorting through boxes that I realised how organised the drawers kept everything. And that little removable table is a ripper.

Jet Boil Flash - pretty much just boils water but does it extremely quickly and packs small. Bec and I love a morning coffee and the flash holds the perfect amount for two cups. Just remember to always put the lid on when in use.

Happy Camper meals - we do a lot of cooking in a trangia and these meals are actually really nice and only require heating in boiling water to be ready to eat. Just wish they'd get their Lamb Shanks back in stock. If they taste as good as the rest of their meals I'll be stocking up.

LRA auxilliary tank - with an older model FJ we either needed to carry a few jerry cans of fuel on the roof or go down the auxilliary path. We were given an FJCC discount off a 125lt auxilliary tank and it took all the stress and hassle out of carrying the extra fuel. Did manage to knock the on button at one point which could have been a nightmare but we noticed the hum of the motor above the rain just in time.

Rapid Wing Awning - This is one of the 270 degree awnings and it was brilliant to use. We did manage to wrap it up with a rock or something sharp and put two small pin holes in the canvas but that was a user error moment. Saved us from copping a hiding from small hail as a storm passed through Howitt Plains one arvo.

Cooper ST Maxx - handled everything we put them through now worries. Plenty of grip on the steep stuff although it was very dry for us. Not as loud as we expected on the black stuff either.

Water - Used Williams mod for the water although ours is gravity fed instead of using a pump. Have to say we really misjudged our water usage by a long way. The two of use went through close to 35ltr in 7 days. Fortunately we also carry a platypus Gravity Works filter which got us out of trouble until we hit Dargo

Waeco CFX 28 - I know this is a lot smaller than most use but for the two of us especially when combined with Happy Camper meals for 3 nights it easily covered us for the 7 days. As recommended by others we ran it colder during the day as we drove around and then warmer during the night to keep battery drain to a minimum.

Lastly I'd like to give Tony and the Great Divide Tours team a wrap for a great trip. We've struggled to make any of the club trips this past year and this just fitted our time off but I highly recommend this outfit if you need driver training or are looking for an extended tag along tour.
GOPR3275.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * GOPR3275.jpg
(70.52 kB, 1024x768)
GOPR3078.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * GOPR3078.jpg
(179.76 kB, 1024x767)
GOPR3011.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * GOPR3011.jpg
(166 kB, 1024x768)

yellhornet

« Reply #23 on: 11-Jan-17, 19:51 »
Received my Springtail Barrier - put it together and installed it - Excellent quality and will stop the dog licking the baby

andmcl

« Reply #24 on: 11-Jan-17, 20:39 »
Quote from: Miles fj;144163
Went to Summernats...what a day :)

Did you show everyone your chest? haha

Cruiser