Cruiser

Author Topic: BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - opinion after 40,000 KM  (Read 3764 times)

JSKM

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - opinion after 40,000 KM
« Reply #25 on: 25-Aug-16, 07:51 »
G'day all,

Well the BFG A/T KO2 have been on the FJ now for 9K.

We are getting the 2nd rotation done next week keeping them rotated every 5K as we have heaps of round about in our area.

Overall I would rate them very high. We stayed with the same size as the standard 265's and they have been run in all dry & wet conditions.

I was a bit worried about them in the wet until I jumped in my 80 Series (BFG M/T KO2) in the same conditions and realised how good they were then.

The wear so far looks fantastic and the FJ has only been on the Black Stuff with these tyres.

IMO, I would say the KO2 are far better that the original BFG A/T and hopefully they will stay that way into the wet season up her in Cairns.

Cheers & Beers,

Joe

stuey2308

« Reply #26 on: 14-Feb-17, 11:14 »
Just thought I would bring this tread back to life instead of starting another. Wanting to get BFG ko2 285/70r17, done heaps of research both on and off this site know all about braking,fuel and power lose. However seems to me that there is alot of talk about BFG being smaller than they advertise. I was wondering what sort of difference are we generally looking at?

Crui5erFJ

« Reply #27 on: 14-Feb-17, 21:52 »
Quote from: stuey2308;145991
Just thought I would bring this tread back to life instead of starting another.

Tread/thread, nice work, I see what you did there.

Hino

Re: BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - opinion after 40,000 KM
« Reply #28 on: 27-Jun-17, 00:56 »

Loving the Nitto's at the moment, & they would be my first choice, either the Terra or Trail Grappler.

Does the Nitto A/T have a good wet grip to the end of the tyre's wear ?

As an example, when I switched from a budget passenger Dunlop to Michelin XM2, I was amazed that it had a satisfactory grip on wet bitumen to the end of the tyre's life ! I became Michelin convert.

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #29 on: 28-Jun-17, 13:24 »
Just thought I would bring this tread back to life instead of starting another. Wanting to get BFG ko2 285/70r17, done heaps of research both on and off this site know all about braking,fuel and power lose. However seems to me that there is alot of talk about BFG being smaller than they advertise. I was wondering what sort of difference are we generally looking at?
Not sure about rolling diameter, but in 265 form, the BFG KO2's are almost 25mm narrower and have several mm less tread depth than Cooper ST/Maxx so it makes sense.

RedFJC

« Reply #30 on: 29-Jun-17, 09:49 »
Not sure about rolling diameter, but in 265 form, the BFG KO2's are almost 25mm narrower and have several mm less tread depth than Cooper ST/Maxx so it makes sense.

The ko2 and the st maxx are completely different tyres. The st maxx is a 50/50 off-roader although I'd consider it more a 60 off/40 on. The ko2 is more like a 70 on/30off. And the st maxx has large side biters where as they don't exist on the ko2.

FJHarry

« Reply #31 on: 29-Jun-17, 12:06 »
I thought the the side bitters on the new KO2 were pretty good?
They look a fair bit chunkier than the old KO2 thats for sure.

Miles fj

« Reply #32 on: 29-Jun-17, 12:24 »
What he mean is that the outside block on the tread , not the side bitter, are more aggressive on the st maxx than the ko2...I think anyway !

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #33 on: 29-Jun-17, 13:28 »
I think the point of the question was weather increasing the tyre size to 285 in a KO2 has as much impact on rolling diameter (therefor fuel consumption/performance etc) as it does with other tyres.

Lowlander

« Reply #34 on: 12-Aug-17, 21:59 »
Got mine fitted yesterday (285/75/16) and boy did they take a bit of balancing!! Apart from that they are super quiet and drive great on the road so far.

Hino

« Reply #35 on: 12-Oct-17, 00:17 »

We have just purchased a new FJ that I pick up hopefully next week and will be doing a tyre buy back on the standard tyres for a good set of A/T.

How do you do "tyre buy back" ? The dealer told me they do not buy the tyres back.

RedFJC

« Reply #36 on: 12-Oct-17, 14:42 »
Most dealerships won't, however a lot of tyre shops will. I would guess somewhere around $100 - $150 per tyre would be reasonable.

rampar

« Reply #37 on: 13-Oct-17, 15:49 »
Anyone run 275's?

Lunchietey

« Reply #38 on: 15-Oct-17, 16:24 »
Does the Nitto A/T have a good wet grip to the end of the tyre's wear ?

As an example, when I switched from a budget passenger Dunlop to Michelin XM2, I was amazed that it had a satisfactory grip on wet bitumen to the end of the tyre's life ! I became Michelin convert.

My Nittos have been on a fair while now(although I don't do high kms, 2013 with 55 on the clock) and they are still great in the wet. Haven't noticed any degredation in performance and apart from balancing regularly they have been great in all conditions. Excellent in sand too. I don't do mud anymore so can't comment on that.

Apparent wear so far points to a lifespan in the 60000+ km range so far.

Neil Watts

« Reply #39 on: 15-Oct-17, 16:52 »
Anyone run 275's?

I considered it but someone pointed out to me that it may be more difficult to get a replacement in an out of the way place if needed in a hurry.
Went with 285's.

Getdan

« Reply #40 on: 17-Oct-17, 13:50 »
Yeah - does anyone run the 275's, aside from the hard to get in out of the way places argument, they could be a good compromise between a 265 & 285.  Interested in people's experience if they are running 275's, and do you have a lift or arequire a BMC?
Cheers Dan

Berto

« Reply #41 on: 17-Oct-17, 14:53 »
I run 275/70 in ST-MAXX, ran them standard suspension without issue or BMC. Have 2" lift now and still run them. Will probably keep 265 or 275 for my everyday and towing tyre and run 33 or 34 for non towing serious offroad trips.

Getdan

« Reply #42 on: 17-Oct-17, 15:32 »
Thanks Berto
I was assuming they'd be ok without BMC and I have a 2" lift so no worries there.  Do you notice much difference in low end torque or mileage with the 275's.  I thinking to go to 275's for an all round compromise and a few more mm of clearance.
Cheers

Neil Watts

« Reply #43 on: 17-Oct-17, 16:28 »
Thanks Berto
I was assuming they'd be ok without BMC and I have a 2" lift so no worries there.  Do you notice much difference in low end torque or mileage with the 275's.  I thinking to go to 275's for an all round compromise and a few more mm of clearance.
Cheers

Hey Dan,

I went from 265's to 285's and didn't really notice any difference, fuel was marginal and to be honest it has now increased but I contribute it to the fact that the FJ is now a lot heavier than it once was. I would say that if you already have a lift 275's won't do anything to the fuel, the lift in my opinion would have more effect on the aero then add a bull bar.

Around town I went from mid to high 11's per 100 in standard form to mid to high 12's with lift and 285's. Fast forward to now with lift, 285's, Drifta drawers (which are always full) dual battery, UVP, Baja drop in rack, roof top box with recovery gear, 40l fridge and I now get mid to high 14's.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that with the drawers fitted unless your going to empty them out all the time you're probably going to use more fuel anyway, drawers were critical for me and so handy when I was working out of the back.

Berto

« Reply #44 on: 17-Oct-17, 16:43 »
My first mod was tyres and I had a slight increase in fuel consumption and it did feel slightly less punchy. Once you go bullbar, lift and add weight that is when you really feel it.

Getdan

« Reply #45 on: 17-Oct-17, 17:20 »
Thanks Neil and Berto
I don't think I'll notice much difference going to 275's as I already have the bull bar, dual battery, sliders etc.  I'm currently averaging mid to high 12's per 100, although on a recent trip in central Aus I did get back to the 1450km out of a tank which was average before I added mods, but it was at the end of the trip, with tail wind, and highway driving.
Appreciate the feedback
Cheers

Andy D

« Reply #46 on: 17-Oct-17, 18:16 »
Other thing to consider with calculating fuel consumption on different tyre diameters is that your odometer will read differently.
What was 100km's will not be the same depending on the different rolling circumference.
You will actually have gone further if you've upped your size even though the odometer reads the same distance travelled.
I sometimes wonder whether this is taken into account when people report worse fuel consumption on bigger tyres.

Neil Watts

« Reply #47 on: 17-Oct-17, 18:28 »
Other thing to consider with calculating fuel consumption on different tyre diameters is that your odometer will read differently.
What was 100km's will not be the same depending on the different rolling circumference.
You will actually have gone further if you've upped your size even though the odometer reads the same distance travelled.
I sometimes wonder whether this is taken into account when people report worse fuel consumption on bigger tyres.

I allow (rounded up) 4km per 100 travelled, if odometer reads 1100km I add another 44k's

GazLaz

« Reply #48 on: 17-Oct-17, 21:36 »
The speedo under reports by 4 - 5 km/ph on 265's does this affect the odometer?

drwormy

« Reply #49 on: 18-Oct-17, 00:21 »
I call it over reporting ;-). 

From memory i checked this with the ODB dongle - the ECU speed matched my GPS speed, but the speedo was 4 km above that.  I concluded the ECU knows the correct speed, hence the odometer will be good for 265's.  Hence adding 4% for 285's.

The speedo under reports by 4 - 5 km/ph on 265's does this affect the odometer?

Cruiser