Cruiser

Author Topic: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??  (Read 11308 times)

Getdan

Re: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??
« Reply #825 on: 13-Nov-17, 12:02 »
I remember those bolts - good thing is once they're on, not much reason to ever take them off!

Yesterday I fitted my FJ Cruiser, Grille Badge (Thanks Pete) and it was 35C in Adelaide so I celebrated with a drive down Goolwa beach to collect some cockles for bait and have some R&R
IMG_2595.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * IMG_2595.jpg
(106.52 kB, 768x1024)

Paul KAZ

« Reply #826 on: 19-Nov-17, 09:51 »
We have friends coming on a local trip so I had to put the rear seats back in.....
1st time in well over 8 months & it feels strange  :nyah:

dad

« Reply #828 on: 30-Nov-17, 18:19 »
This morning I dropped the Bash Plates and even after two washes found half Victoria clagged on the plates and elsewhere. I shall return it all next winter ;)

Bash plates are not an accessory but an essential if you use your Rig. Mine are a mess but usable and do their job.

Cheers

dad

HS Stirling '17.jpg2017: What did you do with your FJ today??

Stepho_62

« Reply #829 on: 01-Dec-17, 11:39 »
If you can make any sense of this, https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnW71dkUjq0ghlJXwuAKNqbz8Efd , mine runs to one breather via a T piece. Can't help any more than this as I paid someone else to do it.

Yep, I haven't done mine yet but did someone elses and used the AOB kit.  I purchased one of those clip together t pieces (same as the AOB stuff) and then ran one line only up into the engine bay.

I my GQ patrol, a long time ago, I ran ALL of the breathers into the intake above the airbox which was watertight to the top of the snorkel.

I might take the same approach with the FJ.

Off Grid

« Reply #830 on: 01-Dec-17, 15:03 »
Fitted a full set of Bush Skinz UVP (in black powder coat of course) and a 1080P dash cam with in-built GPS for speed and location purposes.
I'll be arguing with Mr Plod in the future.
Wish I had installed the dash cam before yesterday because some dozey Muppet in a Ford Ranger decided to jump my lane unannounced and smashed my front passenger side guard!
All in the hands of the insurance companies now.

Daunted

« Reply #831 on: 02-Dec-17, 11:33 »
After several years of putting up with the big arse switches that Opposite Lock in Cairns installed for the spotties and light bar I have finally got around to replacing them.  I picked up a couple of switches from Air On Board that suit the rest of the switches and look stock.  Now it looks so much nicer and cleaner.

Only issue I have is that they dremeled a fair bit out to get their switches in and now nothing will lock into those slots except blanks.  I have no plans to fill those blanks with anything yet so it’s not a problem, but maybe further down the road it might be.

Miles fj

« Reply #832 on: 03-Dec-17, 00:06 »
I didnt get a photo, but this is what i based it on (from Mike Bryant on Aus FJ group on Facebook)

I got myself a dremel tool last week and I end up using it to do that air box mod. The engine feel a bit more responsive, more noticeable when going up a gentle hill. Nothing extraordinary but it is there.

Daunted

« Reply #833 on: 07-Dec-17, 20:51 »
Well it is now confirmed, we are moving house again.  So I started to double check the camper was ready to go and sort out what needs to go in the FJ. We roll out just before the new year but the house contents leave in under two weeks.

We are heading North again.  Not as far North as I would like but near enough.  Let’s just say that if your heading to Cape York in the first 6 months of next year, you’ll come within about 300m of our house.

Stepho_62

« Reply #834 on: 08-Dec-17, 09:22 »
@Daunted , Bloody Hell, n I thought I was bad with a move once every 10 years!  I reckon the towns in initials are LL  :funny2:
« Last Edit: 11-Dec-17, 15:48 by Stepho_62 »

Daunted

« Reply #835 on: 08-Dec-17, 22:13 »
I’m pretty sure you’re on the money with that guess.  If the travelling goes well then we will be in Townsville for a night or two early next year.  Might drop in for a quick hello if your around.  I know I’ve said it every time I’ve passed through over the last couple of years but I’m still gunna try and catch up with you.

oz-strom

« Reply #836 on: 11-Dec-17, 11:36 »
Went beach fishing at Bribie Island (north of Brisbane). Caught a few fish and checked out some of the designated camping sites for future reference.

IMG_4241.JPG
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * IMG_4241.JPG
(80.89 kB, 640x480)

Andy D

« Reply #837 on: 11-Dec-17, 14:53 »
Installed some rear lower shock guards from KOAN (FJCC member TIN175). The old ones i had on the Billie's were never going to fit the new Ironman shocks and the workmanship on these is awesome (I have no affiliation yadda yadda, just impressed with the product)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4539/38088403615_323d254f50.jpgIMG_1162 by Andrew de, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4573/38088405415_61a34d13b9.jpgIMG_1158 by Andrew de, on Flickr
Super easy install. Was worried the passenger side handbrake cable was running a bit close but bending the guide on the lower control arm has it well clear now. The passenger side was fine, in retrospect i might have tweaked the bracket when i changed over the control arms.

And pulled this out of a front tyre.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4633/38975126881_74500ecbeb.jpgIMG_1159 by Andrew de, on Flickr
Luckily it was right in the thickest part of the lug and was angled out into the sidebiter so didn't puncture. I poked a small piece of tyre plug in the hole hoping it will seal over. I'll keep an eye on the pressure to be sure.

Nuke

« Reply #838 on: 11-Dec-17, 19:51 »
Not today, but yesterday I was in the National Park and saved a Ranger from drowning!...

IMG_9444.jpg2017: What did you do with your FJ today??

:Smirk:

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #839 on: 12-Dec-17, 10:54 »
Did you then drive through it to make a point?

dad

« Reply #840 on: 12-Dec-17, 11:05 »
Not today, but yesterday I was in the National Park and saved a Ranger from drowning!...

IMG_9444.jpg2017: What did you do with your FJ today??

:Smirk:

You get that Nuke, good experience for young driver.
A son-in-law's brother bought one of these cheap Hilux copies as a work ute.
After countless recalls he is another that's over the marketing hype. It's the only modern 4WD I've noticed still with Drum rear brakes  :derr:

Cheers

dad

Nuke

« Reply #841 on: 12-Dec-17, 11:11 »
Did you then drive through it to make a point?
It was full of loose logs and rocks so, no. In his defence, the track had been very tame up til then and the entry did look very gentle...but hey, he still should have checked and there was a chicken track.

RedFJC

« Reply #842 on: 12-Dec-17, 11:31 »
You get that Nuke, good experience for young driver.
A son-in-law's brother bought one of these cheap Hilux copies as a work ute.
After countless recalls he is another that's over the marketing hype. It's the only modern 4WD I've noticed still with Drum rear brakes  :derr:

Cheers

dad
Are you saying the ranger is a cheap hilux copy ? They’re around the same price.. the hilux is a bucket of crap anyway.

Miles fj

« Reply #843 on: 12-Dec-17, 14:45 »
the hilux is a bucket of crap anyway.

I never heard anyone giving such bad name to the Hilux....I thought that their reputation was....unbreakable !!

Miles fj

« Reply #844 on: 12-Dec-17, 16:37 »
I just got a AFE air filter, just have to try it.  I also done the air box mod last week. The engine will now be full of air :)
And I ordered a OBD2 and downloaded Torque pro on my galaxy note 8, hopefully I will manage to properly use it, it looks to have plenty of possibility/option with it...I bought it for the FJ and also check for fault on other car if needed.

Fishhead

« Reply #845 on: 13-Dec-17, 18:32 »
G’day All. I’ve been rather slack and have been back from my trip for a while, but did around 15000km approx:... Canberra up through Qld around Emerald, then through Mt Isa, through Katherine, Kununurra, Cape Leveque, Ningaloo, Dirk Hartog Island, down through Mt Magnet, then across the Nullabour to home... always with the Tvan in tow.  Fj did not miss a beat the whole trip... and only got bogged once on Blackies beach near Steep Point. Hit a roo on the Nullabour but the XRox bar saved the day... not a scratch.  Will post some pics if I can ever work out how to do it.  FJ used less fuel towing than my 2007 diesel pajero...  and much more comfortable. Very, very happy with the fj.  :). Cheers. Robbo

morro

« Reply #846 on: 13-Dec-17, 22:57 »
Put a bunch of sound deadner in the rear quarters from top to bottom, an in line moisture trap under the rear seats and an arb 4L air tank in drivers side  rear quarter panel.  Has taken me a few days/evenings to complete.

Getdan

« Reply #847 on: Yesterday at 10:53 »
Drifta Drawer set arrived yesterday so today was the first time I drove the FJ with the drawers installed, still need to install the fridge slide.  Happy days all in time for the week to Yorkes over New Year! :partydude:
IMG_2632.jpg
2017: What did you do with your FJ today?? * IMG_2632.jpg
(137.96 kB, 768x1024)

Getdan

« Reply #848 on: Yesterday at 10:55 »
I just got a AFE air filter, just have to try it.  I also done the air box mod last week. The engine will now be full of air :)
And I ordered a OBD2 and downloaded Torque pro on my galaxy note 8, hopefully I will manage to properly use it, it looks to have plenty of possibility/option with it...I bought it for the FJ and also check for fault on other car if needed.
Thoughts on the AFE air filter Miles?
Cheers
Dan

Miles fj

« Reply #849 on: Yesterday at 11:15 »
Thoughts on the AFE air filter Miles?
Cheers
Dan
Too early to tell much !
This filter added to the air box mod (as shown by DrWormy, not just the 90 mm hole saw)  resulted in a better engine response, acceleration, but don't expect the feel of a twin turbo, still noticeable. I wanted one mainly because I often find myself on dusty track, and the old tap on the paper air filter to remove the dust as some limitation and are costly to replace as I like my air filter to be in good shape. This filter is easily washable and this is why I got it, I also recently bought the pre filter for the snorkel. In 2 weeks time or a bit more I should be able to comment on fuel consumption, no expectation but you never know !
If someone in Canberra wants to try that filter by itself for a short drive....let me know.
I will also report if any adverse problem do happen in dusty condition, as some people have mentioned that the box filter is made in a way to control the dust somehow, and modifying it could have negative effect...I am not a great believer in that but you never know....
So far...I am happy :)