Cruiser

Author Topic: Headlight globes  (Read 11823 times)

drwormy

Re: Headlight globes
« Reply #150 on: 18-Sep-17, 21:52 »
Adrian and I met up tonite and took some photos comparing the Stedi H4 Copper Head LEDs and the Philips Ultinon H4 LED.

Cars parked side by side at a common distance from the wall.  Stedi on left, Philips on right.

Both low beam:

Stedi only

Philips only

Both High beam

Some observations:

The Philips low beam cutoff profile is very good.  The Stedi's were pretty good, but gave some structure which could be played with by slightly rotating the globe.  (The Philips are not rotatable)

High beams seems similar, however both displayed some lense structure projected onto the road.  That can only be noticed when the car moves wrt to the road.  The Philips seemed to have slightly less structure.

Both LEDs wont give a blue high beam lamp without a canbus resistor etc.

The light on the wall from the Philips LEDs seemed to be slightly brighter - this may be due to the different colour (5700K vs 6500K claimed).

Both heatsinks / braids were hot.  The design of the Philips heatsink is compact, fitting better the space (particularly if having a dual battery) but it was substantially hotter than the Copper braids of the Stedi.  Adrian mentioned that the heatsink slides onto a collar of the lamp substrate, and fits hard against the rubber boot.

Im my opinion, the Philips Ultinon give a better light the Stedi's for the FJ, and i think most people would be happy with either.  The only spec where the Philips looses out to the Stedi is lifetime, 5000 vs 30000 hrs.

Cost wise, Philips are $235 vs Stedi $149 (though can be 10% cheaper on ebay with a special).

« Last Edit: 18-Sep-17, 22:18 by drwormy »

Porter180

« Reply #151 on: 18-Sep-17, 23:05 »
Gentlemen - you have outdone yourselves! Awesome comparison!!

From the photos there really does not appear to be much in it for light distribution and intensity. You are actually really hard pressed to see a real difference at all!

Any chance you compared beam distance? Although I suspect they would be similar based off your photos...

Adrian

« Reply #152 on: 20-Sep-17, 09:11 »
Dr Wormy had great initiative to setup a meet, greet and compare.  His earlier post pretty was a good summary.  Unfortunately we didn't compare beam distance.

Porter180

« Reply #153 on: 02-Oct-17, 21:59 »
OK - finally had mine delivered (2 weeks mind you!!). Nice easy install, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet.

I have the same issue with the High Beam icon on the dash not illuminating - anyone know of a fix that does not involve the use of a large resistor on the headlight circuit? The resistors sort of negate some of the benefit of running LED as they wind up consuming the same (approx) power as a standard globe and generate a huge amount of heat...

As for my spots - they had no issue at all - happy days there. :) I used a Narva harness that is designed to work on both positive and negative switched headlights. It seems perfectly happy with LED globes. http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/driving-light-harness

drwormy

« Reply #154 on: 02-Oct-17, 23:13 »
Hmm, thats good about the spots being wired for -ve switched.  I need to think about how to make mine work: bought a Stedi adaptor that i can hack into.

Re the high beam, try this:

https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php?topic=9501.msg163472#msg163472

(i tried it and it worked). 

OK - finally had mine delivered (2 weeks mind you!!). Nice easy install, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet.

I have the same issue with the High Beam icon on the dash not illuminating - anyone know of a fix that does not involve the use of a large resistor on the headlight circuit? The resistors sort of negate some of the benefit of running LED as they wind up consuming the same (approx) power as a standard globe and generate a huge amount of heat...

As for my spots - they had no issue at all - happy days there. :) I used a Narva harness that is designed to work on both positive and negative switched headlights. It seems perfectly happy with LED globes. http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/driving-light-harness

Lunchietey

« Reply #155 on: 05-Dec-17, 22:54 »

If it's only the blue led on the dash you want illuminated, just wire up a lowish power resistor (by that I mean one that doesn't draw a lot) something 20ohms or up to 63 or so will easily pass enough current to make the blue high beam light illuminate. Will barely get warm if you use a 10w ceramic resistor from Jaycar.

Any other way will be extremely difficult. By far the easiest way is buy one of the h4 resistor canbus units from eBay. They don't draw THAT much power. Remember the 'wattage' of the resistor is how much it can handle, not how much it draws necessarily. IE a 50w resistor can handle 50w of power. The resistance and voltage will determine current draw.

A 12ohm resistor at 12v draws 12 watts only and will pass enough juice to trip at least 2 30a relays. A 63ohm will only draw a little over 2w and will light up the blue dash light only.

I know this from personal testing 👍
« Last Edit: 05-Dec-17, 23:00 by Lunchietey »

drwormy

« Reply #156 on: 05-Dec-17, 23:23 »
He solved it, unfortunately there were 2 similar threads.

https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php?topic=9501.msg163979#msg163979

I used a 1Kohm caus thats what i had in my spares box.

If it's only the blue led on the dash you want illuminated

Java

« Reply #157 on: 06-Dec-17, 11:36 »
imho, i actually prefer how FJ looks with standard yellowy globes fits in with its retro style better.
and find it provides plenty of light in city or highway
for the slow offroad a spread led bar/hid work better.
for outback a pencil beam or powerfull led bar works better

Porter180

« Reply #158 on: 07-Dec-17, 15:39 »
Yep - check out the link listed by Dr Wormy. It is all there...

The 10W Ceramic ones are the way to go, and as you up the resistance you reduce the power (wattage) consumption.

You can definitely go above the 63ohm resistors and still achieve the same result, but consume less power...

The one I chose to run runs pretty much totally cold...

Lunchietey

« Reply #159 on: 07-Dec-17, 19:03 »
I've used 47 ohm across brake bulbs that I've replaced with LED to keep the computer happy in cars and they very barely warm up as well. It's much easier than people think especially if you buy the little H4 plug extension things from eBay to modify as your own custom resistor setup(5 seconds to reverse the mod)

Like these little guys, barely a couple of bucks each. Chuck in a $2 Jaycar resistor or two and heatshrink it or tape it. All done 👍
unnamed (1).jpg
Headlight globes * unnamed (1).jpg
(23.11 kB, 350x350)

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #160 on: 07-Dec-17, 23:25 »
Fitted some Osram Night Breaker Laser 130+ bulbs after the left bulb ended its life on Saturday morning.
The H4 plug is the piggyback that triggers the spotlights but the plastic has broken on one side, so I will have to pickup some of those adapters like the post above and rewire.
Ive not got to use these at night yet (DST), but given I can see them during the day its a big improvement.
Not as blue-white as the Philip's diamond-vision I had before but still much better than the yellow OEM's

Setting the bulb angle on 2 out of 5 just so I'm not blinding too many, set to 0 the cut off line is quite high given how high the vehicle is.