Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by FJWally on 31 Aug 2013
  • As the old one has gone missing thought I would start it off again.

I fitted the Outback accessories over head console and an Icom 400 pro - did not have the aerial so will do that net weekend.

Good bit of kit but their instructions leave a bit to be desired.

When they say in the instructions to leave the middle light switch on OFF they really mean leave it on DOOR else the lights are either fully on or fully off.

Also be careful to follow the instructions when joining wires and NOT the pictures as the pictures were done by the apprentice - instructions correct.
  • #2 by Invalid on 31 Aug 2013
  • Went up to the power lines
    [/video]
  • #3 by JD on 31 Aug 2013
  • From my build thread:

Had an Icon Long Travel kit fitted whilst at Autocraft (last week).  Previously had OME heavy front medium rear.  Ride is chalk and cheese on road and off, travel in the rear is amazing and the front hasn't yet lifted a leg on the bunny tracks near home!  No regrets, thats for sure!

The bling:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q77/s720x720/1240256_10151673222158271_513068173_n.jpg

Stretching the legs, not even close to lifting a leg yet:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q73/s720x720/1157513_10151672936743271_1527017118_n.jpg

Duke is now a bit of a weapon off road....compensating for the driver for sure!! ;)

Also managed to fit Ellis grab handles from the leftovers of the Group Buy....thanks FJ Wally!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1234567_10151673221973271_310248003_n.jpg
  • #4 by FJWally on 01 Sep 2013
  • Looking good JD/Invalid  - Happy fathers day to All - hope you all have a great day!!
  • #5 by Sawyer on 01 Sep 2013
  • Installed the Exp One rear bar and tyre carrier.
    Needed a lick with a grinder here and there but looks smick

• #6 by Masters of Disasters on 01 Sep 2013
  • 1,000km check up at Blood Toyota and Icon Stage 1 at Auto-Craft

• #7 by mackie on 01 Sep 2013
  • Fathers day picnic up the beach :-)

• #8 by JohnyK on 01 Sep 2013
  • I went up to Tallarook and had a bit fun, taking the GF up there soon for a bit of driver training so wanted to check the state of the tracks.

Vendetta's hill is looking rather nasty

1st day of spring and it was a lovely day for it
  • #9 by Invalid on 01 Sep 2013
  • Installed LED reverse light
  • #10 by MikeWebb on 01 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: Sawyer;18668
    Installed the Exp One rear bar and tyre carrier.

Sawyer, was it the area around the tow bar that had to be ground? was the loom for the lights plug and play?  I see you didn't have to relocate the number plate to the door like most had too, what are you doing for illumination?

Oh and it sure looks sweet I can't wait until I et mine.  :Waiting:

When did you you order your bar? I paid for mine 24th July and they tell me they wont have any in until October (WTF seeing as they had them in stock when I ordered it in July).
  • #11 by sysie on 01 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: JD;18630
    From my build thread:

Had an Icon Long Travel kit fitted whilst at Autocraft (last week).  Previously had OME heavy front medium rear.  Ride is chalk and cheese on road and off, travel in the rear is amazing and the front hasn't yet lifted a leg on the bunny tracks near home!  No regrets, thats for sure!

Looks good JD... Did you got for the long travel Stage 1 setup or the long travel Stage 2 from Autocraft ??

And what size tyres are those?

Thanks!!
  • #12 by JD on 01 Sep 2013
  • Stage 2 long travel for me, with UCA's.
  • #13 by Sawyer on 02 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: MikeWebb;18719
    Sawyer, was it the area around the tow bar that had to be ground? was the loom for the lights plug and play?  I see you didn't have to relocate the number plate to the door like most had too, what are you doing for illumination?

Oh and it sure looks sweet I can't wait until I et mine.  :Waiting:

When did you you order your bar? I paid for mine 24th July and they tell me they wont have any in until October (WTF seeing as they had them in stock when I ordered it in July).

Yeah had to shave about 20mm off each side of the tow bar area, die grind the holes for the reverse sensors, flatten off a weld or two.

There is no wiring loom, I used the existing loom from the bumper and chopped the globe holders off and soldered the new lights on.

You will also need to fabricate some brackets to hold the lights,

Don't like the number plate on the door, there's plenty if space where it is. Currently no number plate lights.

took along time to arrive, 8 weeks, but they a coming from the US on a boat.

The fit isn't great, it's good, not great. Sticks out a bit wide on the corners, so I got some pinch weld rubber from Clark rubber to fill the gap.

Only other thing that annoys me is the lack of a reverse camera mount, I cut and screwed the old one on, but I still ned to fab a decent one.
  • #14 by Whio on 02 Sep 2013
  • Belated happy fathers day to all you dads out there!!!
    I got a set of tyredogs and fitted them. Heading off to Uluru/Olga's today via Broken hill and Oodnadatta track. Then back by Alice Springs, across to Boulia, Birdsville and back to Sydney. Pretty much a month of travel. So hope the Tyredogs keep us mobile. Along with all the other gear FJ'ers have to have. LOL
  • #15 by FJville on 02 Sep 2013
  • Still haven't got around to measuring my droop but found you can fit a stubby on the back tyre no hassles.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1240594_588746452429_949209485_n.jpg
  • #16 by chilliman on 02 Sep 2013
  • Drove back from a great Fathers Day and Spring skiing weekend at Mt. Buller.

Snow starting to melt so that's pretty much it for the season. The FJ racked up about 5 trips to Mt Buller this season
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40888375/FJBuller.jpg

And here's No.1 Son standing on the Summit.  A quick pi** stop before launching down the Summit mogul run at top speed.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40888375/LTHSummit.jpg
  • #17 by JD on 02 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: sysie;18722
    And what size tyres are those?

Thanks!!

Tyre size is 285/70R17
  • #18 by VNDETA on 02 Sep 2013
  • Seen your car parked on the side of the road up there chilliman
  • #19 by chilliman on 02 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: VNDETA;18800
    Seen your car parked on the side of the road up there chilliman
    Arrived Thursday night in torrential rain. Fortunately got a lift back up the mountain after parking the car as I wasn't looking forward to the hike.  I did spy a couple of nice tracks which still had snow on them and was tempted to take the FJ for a quick squirt in the white fluffy stuff!

Also looking at doing another trip up there around November. It makes a great base for high country drives - especially if you have a Mrs who isn't that keen on camping .
  • #20 by MikeWebb on 02 Sep 2013
  • Sawyer,
    So you ordered direct from the States or from AutoCraft?  I thought the advantage of ordering through AutoCraft was that all those niggles were taken care of.  How you enjoying the easy swing setup part of the reason why I'm getting the expo over the others.

Webby
  • #21 by sydneysally99 on 02 Sep 2013
  • George turned into a killing machine today.  1 x small hopper, 1 x bunny and 2 x galahs.  All on one trip back from our country property.  On the tarmac and in daylight, too!
  • #22 by MaxPwr on 02 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: Sawyer;18668
    Installed the Exp One rear bar and tyre carrier.

Hey Sawyer, I too have just installed the expo one rear bar good bit of kit.

In the first pic you posted it looks like you have some edging around the side wings , did that come with the kit or is it something you got separately?

Cheers
  • #23 by JamesM on 03 Sep 2013
  • I just finished my dual battery install. Allrounder MRV70 (105ah calcium) on Off Road Downunder battery tray. Just fits. redarc BCDC1225 fitted up and charging. It took two minutes to go from 'boost' to 'absorption' mode on the redarc with the FJ idling. Mind you, the battery is brand new and has not had a load on it (yet).

Still need to wire an 'indicator LED' in the cabin, and then run my cable runs from the AUX battery in to the FJ for Engel, etc... getting there!
  • #24 by chilliman on 03 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: JamesM;18887
    I just finished my dual battery install. Allrounder MRV70 (105ah calcium) on Off Road Downunder battery tray. Just fits. redarc BCDC1225 fitted up and charging. It took two minutes to go from 'boost' to 'absorption' mode on the redarc with the FJ idling. Mind you, the battery is brand new and has not had a load on it (yet).

Still need to wire an 'indicator LED' in the cabin, and then run my cable runs from the AUX battery in to the FJ for Engel, etc... getting there!

Glad to see it all come together James - nothing like a little midnight FJ electrical work !
    Nice, neat job. Well done.

Regarding your cabin LED, FYI I am planning a mini LED volt meter on a dual pole switch to show me both battery voltage. That way I can tell what the charger is doing (aux batt voltage while running) and both batteries voltage at rest. Always good to check if the car has been sitting for a week or so.
  • #25 by JD on 03 Sep 2013
  • Quote from: sysie;18722
    Looks good JD... Did you got for the long travel Stage 1 setup or the long travel Stage 2 from Autocraft ??

Actually mine have CDC so, given the recent update to the Autocraft Icon thread, I guess I got stage 3!!  I really decided I wasn't going to replace things for a 3rd time so I went as big as I could go $$ wise.  The flux capacitor (six shock) set up was out of my reach, but really, I am very happy with the ride quality of this set up (what my main aim in replacing the OME was to fix).

My dentist is happy as my fillings now stay in place.
Pages:
Actions