Cruiser

Author Topic: Ironman Foamcell Group Buy from PP  (Read 2191 times)

Ducky

Ironman Foamcell Group Buy from PP
« on: 19-Jun-17, 07:50 »
Just a heads up for anyone interested the Group buy has started.http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?41251-Ironman-Foamcell-Pro-Group-Buy

Mini FJ

Re: Ironman Foamcell Group Buy from PP
« Reply #1 on: 19-Jun-17, 16:46 »
Looks like one lucky QLD(?) FJ has installed the new setup, someone from here?

drwormy

« Reply #2 on: 19-Jun-17, 19:58 »
Mark is a friend of mine, and I got the opportunity to have my life risked last week (aka going co-pilot with him around some undisclosed locations in his Prado).

About all i could do is laugh (maybe more like a giggle - at how incredible urban 'obstacles' were eaten by this suspension).  I think it was dogg15 who got fitted on Saturday.  (Im told he giggled as well).

On road the ride is firm, tracking the road; no firmer than in a decent handling passenger car. No body roll through roundabouts. No nose diving on brakes, nor ABS issues nearing full lockup. But where i found the suspension excelling was in speedbumps, gutters, traffic islands. They may as well have not been there!!

Im running a Bilstein setup currently with similar valving to these custom Ironmans, with similar springs. Marks setup way outperformed both my expectations for what twin tubes could do, and also my Bilstein's.

The valving has been especially developed (by him) for off road / tourer Prados and FJ's, and he is custom valving Ironman Foamcell Pros.  I mean i have seen the calculations, the dyno curves, the stash of new shims on his workbench and him doing it, as opposed to 'saying' they are custom valved for Prados and FJs . These shocks are massive - twice the oil of a Bilstein.

« Last Edit: 19-Jun-17, 20:05 by drwormy »

Mini FJ

« Reply #3 on: 19-Jun-17, 21:14 »
Drwormy, did you ride in his hard or soft custom valved Prado?

dogg15

« Reply #4 on: 19-Jun-17, 21:34 »
Spent the day with mark on Saturday fitting the new suspension. Love it. What a top bloke and a suspension guru.

Miles fj

« Reply #5 on: 19-Jun-17, 22:48 »
Spent the day with mark on Saturday fitting the new suspension. Love it. What a top bloke and a suspension guru.

Do you have that set up on your car ? I would love some feedback, my main concern is that it may be too firm on road...

Daunted

« Reply #6 on: 19-Jun-17, 23:18 »
Following this with interest. 

dogg15

« Reply #7 on: 19-Jun-17, 23:28 »
hey miles, these are a custom valved for how your fj is setup. Not off the shelf stuff. The group buy is closed now. With 20 sets of shocks/stuts to be pulled apart, custom valved and reassembled he's got a lot of work ahead.

Miles fj

« Reply #8 on: 20-Jun-17, 08:18 »
hey miles, these are a custom valved for how your fj is setup. Not off the shelf stuff. The group buy is closed now. With 20 sets of shocks/stuts to be pulled apart, custom valved and reassembled he's got a lot of work ahead.

My understanding, may be wrong (happen before, ask my wife!), is that they are not custom made for the FJ but for the Prado, not  individually tuned for each need/preference but more towards for better capability off road, for loaded/heavier car, and that they are firm. That only the rear have 2 different set, one lighter than the other.
I do not mind firm but my back and neck doesn't like "too" firm on longer drive...The problem is mainly to properly describe "firm" or "too firm" as we all have different way to describe it.
Regarding the group buy, I know, I am number 19 on the list and have been in touch with Mark.....My question was more to get some feedback from other people than the maker....

dogg15

« Reply #9 on: 20-Jun-17, 08:46 »
They are custom valved by mark for how you have your fj setup. Firm but not in a bad way.

drwormy

« Reply #10 on: 20-Jun-17, 11:14 »
Miles,

He told me he is only supplying his 'softer' rear version shock, but will give the shims needed to turn that into the firmer version (its a non-trivial DIY).  They are custom tuned for the Prado and FJ, based on his 120 Prado. They are effectively the same family with the FJ slightly lighter and shorter wheel base.

I think, given your preferences, your going to need to personally test ride in whatever suspension you choose.  I know when i crossed the Simpson and had rear suspension problems, my back got very sore; that was because of the vehicle pitching front and back.  On road that never happens.

Andy D

« Reply #11 on: 26-Jun-17, 15:48 »

I was worried that I might have missed this group buy but Mark added me to the list.
There still might be time if anybody else is interested.
I can see why he might want to limit numbers cause as Dogg15 pointed out its a huge job re-valving all those shocks.

fjresq

« Reply #12 on: 28-Jul-17, 15:58 »
I can not open the link to PP. However I am also interested in a set for the FJ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Daunted

« Reply #13 on: 28-Jul-17, 16:47 »
The link works for me on the iPad.

drwormy

« Reply #14 on: 29-Jul-17, 15:08 »
Let me know if you cannot get in touch with Mark and ill hook you up.  He is still taking orders, he is only about 1/2 through his list.

Seriously, you will not believe how good that setup rides for the money.  We went out in a high end Kings setup last week, and the owner of that FJ was pretty impressed at the comparison (as was I).  Is it the same quality as something that costs 3x more?  Doubt it.  Will you notice?  Probably not.

If your interested in really long travel / flexy rear end, he might have something in the wings as an option.

I can not open the link to PP. However I am also interested in a set for the FJ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Daunted

« Reply #15 on: 30-Jul-17, 07:11 »
I'm having a serious look at this now.  Just trying to go through it all and work out the cost before I try to convince the wife that we 'need' this done.

Have you guys got any ideas on which bits and pieces we need?  I can't make head or tail of it.  Probably going to have to take it to a mechanic to get fitted too.

dogg15

« Reply #16 on: 30-Jul-17, 07:46 »
Just send mark a message and he'll sort you out. It's a great bit of gear and on and offroad. As for the wife I've found it's easier to beg for forgiveness than approval.

amts

« Reply #17 on: 30-Jul-17, 08:25 »
I'm having a serious look at this now.  Just trying to go through it all and work out the cost before I try to convince the wife that we 'need' this done.

Have you guys got any ideas on which bits and pieces we need?  I can't make head or tail of it.  Probably going to have to take it to a mechanic to get fitted too.
You'll need front swaybar relocation blocks and rear extended swaybar links.

OzyFJ

« Reply #18 on: 30-Jul-17, 17:24 »
Why? I've had this set up for ages and definitely haven't needed what you have mentioned! Cheers

Miles fj

« Reply #19 on: 30-Jul-17, 18:08 »
Why? I've had this set up for ages and definitely haven't needed what you have mentioned! Cheers
For the rear, and if I understood properly ! these shock are longer at full length, if you keep the original sway bar link they will be the one that hold the full weight of the axle when the wheel is at full drop, instead of the shock. That is too much for them and they will break....
For the front, it is to just give a bit more room to the strut
again, if I understood properly.....
« Last Edit: 30-Jul-17, 18:38 by Miles fj »

dogg15

« Reply #20 on: 30-Jul-17, 18:28 »
Maybe he doesn't do much offroad so hasn't needed the extended rear links.

Mini FJ

« Reply #21 on: 30-Jul-17, 19:36 »
You can extend rear swaybar link by 6-8mm with a nut, quite easy to do.

dogg15

« Reply #22 on: 30-Jul-17, 20:45 »
You need about 30mm though with this setup.

Mini FJ

« Reply #23 on: 30-Jul-17, 21:35 »
30mm would be a very safe extension but not mandatory.

The stock swaybar link binds at 615mm, a bit shorter than than the fully extended Ironman shock (618~620mm), therefore any >5mm extension of the stock link is okay.

As the new links are only $80 a pair, I'd install them, then space down the shocks by 15-20mmm and extend brake lines, to achieve maximum possible droop.
« Last Edit: 30-Jul-17, 21:40 by z1000, Reason: Edit cost »

amts

« Reply #24 on: 30-Jul-17, 22:33 »
You're running Ironman Foam cell Pros?

Cruiser