Cruiser

Author Topic: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??  (Read 11327 times)

Shaun

Re: 2017: What did you do with your FJ today??
« Reply #525 on: 13-Jun-17, 22:56 »
New rock sliders delivered today, will fit them Saturday after I pick the car up from ARB where it was getting a new rear bar. An expensive few weeks! Should all come together so i can keep the camp trailer at bay for another few years!

FJfan

« Reply #526 on: 14-Jun-17, 09:55 »
Just picked up the Camper, these tents on wheels are awesome. Running hot water, stove, king size bed and $8 bucks a night for a campsite with flushing toilets. Oh! Did I mention the beach, fishing, surfing! I may never go home.

Reckon you'd have trouble dragging that through those tracks to the Bilbunya dunes.  :goodone:

Neil Watts

« Reply #527 on: 14-Jun-17, 12:23 »
Reckon you'd have trouble dragging that through those tracks to the Bilbunya dunes.  :goodone:

You're dead right there, I'd have just as much of a struggle getting the wife there also so probably not going to happen.

GazLaz

« Reply #528 on: 14-Jun-17, 14:01 »
You're dead right there, I'd have just as much of a struggle getting the wife there also so probably not going to happen.
At least you have a luxury base camp for 90% of the places :happydude:

Stepho_62

« Reply #529 on: 14-Jun-17, 14:11 »
Got her over 50,000k

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #530 on: 16-Jun-17, 11:00 »
Drove the French line, Simpson desert East to west and then up to Finke to watch the desert race.
The FJ never missed a beat.
Only downside was Mount Dare $2.25 a litre
How much fuel did you use from Birdsville to Mt Dare Reximus? Were you towing ?

Daunted

« Reply #531 on: 16-Jun-17, 12:43 »
Got the T13 bar install complete.  Then drove it down to the Department of Transport with the camper in tow and got the camper registered finally.  I learnt that it was a requirement in Queensland to have a fire extinguisher in either the vehicle or the camper to register the camper.  Lucky I had one in the camper.  It doesn't matter what size or whether it's in date but you must have one.

Stepho_62

« Reply #532 on: 16-Jun-17, 17:07 »
Got the T13 bar install complete.  Then drove it down to the Department of Transport with the camper in tow and got the camper registered finally.  I learnt that it was a requirement in Queensland to have a fire extinguisher in either the vehicle or the camper to register the camper.  Lucky I had one in the camper.  It doesn't matter what size or whether it's in date but you must have one.

Interesting, I'm assuming that its only for new registrations, it doesnt get captured in the t/fer process or re registration.

Daunted

« Reply #533 on: 16-Jun-17, 20:01 »
I was surprised too as I hadn't seen anything written anywhere about it.  The camper is a new registration in qld.  It definitely has it on the checklist when you go over the pits with it though.  It was also a requirement to have the VIN stamped on the van chassis too which I wasn't aware of either.  Basically they checked those two things and made a few measurements and I was good to go.

Neil Watts

« Reply #534 on: 16-Jun-17, 22:23 »
I was surprised too as I hadn't seen anything written anywhere about it.  The camper is a new registration in qld.  It definitely has it on the checklist when you go over the pits with it though.  It was also a requirement to have the VIN stamped on the van chassis too which I wasn't aware of either.  Basically they checked those two things and made a few measurements and I was good to go.

Took mine to get registered for the first time on Tuesday, all they did was measure it and check the compliance plate. Gave them $79 and ten minutes later they gave me a rego plate and sent me on my way.

JohnG

« Reply #535 on: 17-Jun-17, 17:08 »
Fitted a Uniden 8080 UHF with a bandi mount antennae. Easier than I thought it would be. Except for me not securing the switch earth properly! I can get consoles out pretty quickly now!
 :goodone:

Shaun

« Reply #536 on: 17-Jun-17, 18:43 »
New bar and sliders fitted 👍🏻

Miles fj

« Reply #537 on: 17-Jun-17, 19:14 »
Just fitted a pair of 7 inches LED light from Supacenter, at $144 all included (wiring and freight)...after a quick test, it does what I want from them, more spread light close by,....I am happy. Time will tell if they will last....

Alloy C/T

« Reply #538 on: 18-Jun-17, 16:08 »
$79 ?? Bloody 6x4 box trailer  costs nearly double that to register in QLD  :prisoner:

Neil Watts

« Reply #539 on: 18-Jun-17, 16:30 »
$79 ?? Bloody 6x4 box trailer  costs nearly double that to register in QLD  :prisoner:

Plus $27 booking fee if that helps!

Daunted

« Reply #540 on: 18-Jun-17, 17:06 »
$220 odd for the t-van...

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #541 on: 18-Jun-17, 18:26 »
20k Kms! Woo.

sydneysally99

« Reply #542 on: 18-Jun-17, 20:49 »
20k Kms! Woo.

And Im about 4k from turning up the big 200k.  Still VERY happy with George.

Last weekend - apologies for the late notice - I went and competed in a 4WD comp at Colo Heights.  Standard class so I wasnt able to use the locker or A-trac.  It was wet and muddy.  There were 9 tracks - I was recovered on 3, totally didnt find one track at all and took whatever points were going for some tracks where the mud was like really thick pea soup.  Definitely not in the prizewinners, but it was fun.

However....when you drive in mud, you collect mud.  LOTS of it.  I went to a carwash bay and got about 3t of it off the bottom of the FJC over about 35mins (just keep feeding the coins into the machine till it goes to unl) but there's still about 2t on the bashplates.  Im going to have to remove them to get it off - it hasnt rained up here at all.  BUT...the upside - Im planning on doing the Bridle Trail up Hill End next weekend and will return here to Mumbil via Dixon's LongPoint.  Which involves a crossing of the Macquarie River - lovely clean flowing water.  What better car wash?   :smileyblink:

Shaun

« Reply #543 on: 19-Jun-17, 12:09 »
Last time my car go muddy (Easter) I let it dry up and got under the car with a large flat head screw driver and pried huge chunks off. Used my hands etc.

Drove out of the carport and swept it up. Then gave the underside a good dose of CT18 for 30 mins and hosed off.

Yes it is a pain to get under there, but its the cleanest its ever been (Was under it fitting sliders on Sat and only got two hits of grit in my mouth)

TassiFJ

« Reply #544 on: 19-Jun-17, 13:00 »
Drove the French line, Simpson desert East to west and then up to Finke to watch the desert race.
The FJ never missed a beat.
Only downside was Mount Dare $2.25 a litre

I'm doing that trip in a week from Tas, but up to Alice and back via the rock/ Oonandatta, so I am also interested in the fuel usage across the Simmo! With my car nudging 3T I'm a little concerned over making the distance. I'll be carrying 240 ltrs of fuel...

Reximus

« Reply #545 on: 20-Jun-17, 20:40 »
Used 120 litres

drwormy

« Reply #546 on: 20-Jun-17, 21:53 »
I used 20 L/100 (LPG and U91) crossing Simpson East to West last year when it was pretty wet.

SkinnySteve

« Reply #547 on: 20-Jun-17, 22:20 »
I filled the tank for the 2nd time.  The first fill was the weekend I bought it about 2 months ago, 70,450 klm on the clock.  This fill the odo was on 71,547 - close enough to 1100 klm.

How much?  157.27 litres.  I've got the docket to prove it.  So that's 14.3 litres/100k, not bad for entirely short trips around the suburbs.  Almost all of that was on new Yokohama Geolanders with 36psi in them.

I used Shell V-power which, at 145.9 cents/litre after a discount, came to $229.74

So is 157 litres the most that anyone here has managed in one filling? Theoretically I had 1.5 litres left to get to the specified 159 litre capacity.  It'd be interesting to know how much it could actually take.  The warning light came on at about 1000 klm, I assumed I had plenty after that, but I was curious to see how much.  I wasn't too worried about running empty because I had a 20 litre jerry can with me and, being in the suburbs, I was never too far from a servo.

Stepho_62

« Reply #548 on: 21-Jun-17, 13:18 »
I filled the tank for the 2nd time.  The first fill was the weekend I bought it about 2 months ago, 70,450 klm on the clock.  This fill the odo was on 71,547 - close enough to 1100 klm.

How much?  157.27 litres.  I've got the docket to prove it.  So that's 14.3 litres/100k, not bad for entirely short trips around the suburbs.  Almost all of that was on new Yokohama Geolanders with 36psi in them.

I used Shell V-power which, at 145.9 cents/litre after a discount, came to $229.74

So is 157 litres the most that anyone here has managed in one filling? Theoretically I had 1.5 litres left to get to the specified 159 litre capacity.  It'd be interesting to know how much it could actually take.  The warning light came on at about 1000 klm, I assumed I had plenty after that, but I was curious to see how much.  I wasn't too worried about running empty because I had a 20 litre jerry can with me and, being in the suburbs, I was never too far from a servo.

Some of the ,er, keener members on this site used to play a game along the lines of "How close to empty" There were a few that got to 158+l I think, see if you can search up the thread.

Andy D

« Reply #549 on: 21-Jun-17, 13:48 »

But be careful running it completely dry or you might be up for a new fuel pump before too long.