Cruiser

Author Topic: Seeking opinion on accessories install  (Read 653 times)

akaburnsy

Seeking opinion on accessories install
« on: 23-May-17, 20:13 »
Hi Guys,

I'm seeking your infinite wisdom and opinions on the experience I've had with the fitting of accessories by one of the major 4x4 manufacturers in Brisbane. I'm wondering if I'm being pedantic, or my issues are justified. The last straw was finding the birds nest of wiring for the aux tank in the interior fuse box....which led me to the aux tank. I found, what looks like, the power wire for the aux fuel pump, which has a join in the middle and is very loosely wrapped with leccy tape, firmly wedged in between one of the hoses and the fuel filler pipe (photos). Is this an explosion waiting to happen?

Other grievances:
  • The transmission/sump guard was not installed (the Toyota factory guard still remained). Installed on the second attempt, however bolts missing. Apparently will be available tomorrow.
  • The snorkel was not sealed. It couldn't deform a shopping bag when put of the air ram. It appears it was sealed on the second attempt, I just need to plug up the air box holes.
  • A black electrical wire is dangling between the 125 ltr LRA auxiliary tank and rear bumper. I am assuming this is the LRA tank earth wire. It was long enough to get caught on something. On the second attempt, it was poorly zip tied to the rest of the wiring. At least its out of harms way.
  • The tank filler dust seal is not sealed causing large amounts of dust to be sucked into the filler area. Was told this is how it is on second attempt. Maybe this is normal.
  • The bull bar fog lights were not wired up. On second attempt, they were poorly wired (see photo above for wiring example) and wired into a new driving light switch instead of the factory fog light switch. I'm in the process of fixing this myself as I'm part way through a spot light install. At least I got a free switch...even if is the wrong colour.
  • The bull bar is sitting considerably lower on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. Nothing was done on second attempt. It looks like the washer bottle may be in the way, but at least they could have aligned the passenger side at the same height.
  • The blue plate was installed in non visible location next to the auxiliary battery tray mount, which is now used. They only used two rivets (four holes) to install the plate and the plate has split where the rivets were installed. It probably won't last long on corrugations. Can I be fined by the police if the plate is not visible?
  • After travelling 200 km's (50kms off road), I found that the air intake duct clamp between air box and throttle body had not been tightened after the snorkel install. I've tightened the clamp and luckily it appears no dust entered.
  • I found a considerable amount of metal shavings in the engine bay. I cleaned up the shavings myself.
  • The front grill was scratched (the scratches match the bull bar posts) and was not installed (clips not clipped in) and was rattling.
  • The A pillar was lightly scratched from the snorkel install.
  • I found the drivers side indicator was hanging out of the snorkel when I picked it up. I was able to click it back into the snorkel. This has not occurred again since.
  • More than half of the screws are missing from the wheel well plastics from the snorkel install. Apparently should be available tomorrow.
  • When preparing for the winch install last weekend. I found the following was missing (allows for winch install). The parts have been ordered and should be available tomorrow.
    • winch strap x2 -  Instructions explicitly mention that these must be installed whether using a winch or not. Looks structural.
    • power steering Line relocation bracket
    • power steering line locking clip

Mini FJ

« Reply #1 on: 23-May-17, 21:30 »
What you have described is why I am afraid of getting my FJ modified by others, I too have numerous issue with snorkel install done by one of the big guys.

Your frustration/anger is justifiable, so collect all the evidences and escalate upward if you can.  Good luck.

GazLaz

« Reply #2 on: 23-May-17, 21:41 »
You poor bugger, if you dont get a good resolution you should name them. :Riled:

Miles fj

« Reply #3 on: 23-May-17, 21:49 »
IMO mostly justified....the fact that the air box is not fully sealed as it does have some holes in the air box doesn't make it a bad fitting, some choose to do it this way and the tank filler dust, I haven't seen yours but it could be like that new....for the rest, I know the feeling....
http://lefunny.net/dont-ever-give-up/

akaburnsy

« Reply #4 on: 23-May-17, 22:05 »
Thanks guys. The annoying part is that I leave for a 2 month trip through QLD, NT and WA in 5 weeks. After the Big Red Bash at Birdsville, I'm considering going through the Simpson to Uluru, up to Kakadu, Darwin and then to the Kimberly...but I don't have confidence in the aux tank install... I forgot to mention, the aux pump appears to be vibrating against the body as it's bloody loud when pumping. This crap is stopping me from completing the rest of my build.
« Last Edit: 23-May-17, 22:08 by akaburnsy »

blackpak

« Reply #5 on: 24-May-17, 05:19 »
Quote from: akaburnsy;160744
Thanks guys. The annoying part is that I leave for a 2 month trip through QLD, NT and WA in 5 weeks. After the Big Red Bash at Birdsville, I'm considering going through the Simpson to Uluru, up to Kakadu, Darwin and then to the Kimberly...but I don't have confidence in the aux tank install... I forgot to mention, the aux pump appears to be vibrating against the body as it's bloody loud when pumping. This crap is stopping me from completing the rest of my build.

The pumps on the sub tanks are loud, mine I can only hear when stopped or at really low speeds other wise I cant hear it.

dogg15

« Reply #6 on: 24-May-17, 07:05 »
Name those turds.  :Riled:

RedFJC

« Reply #7 on: 24-May-17, 07:20 »
Exactly the reason why all my mods have been done by either me or a mate in the business with me helping. Feel sorry for you mate. I'd be speaking to the head office (TJM I'm guessing seeing as tho you said the indicator was hanging out of the snorkel) or saw might chip in, I'm fairly sure he's in the business and might be able to help. Just remember, if you don't feel comfortable with the way it is, it's probably wrong.

stuey2308

« Reply #8 on: 24-May-17, 09:36 »
Feel your pain, I had Airtec install in North Brisbane and they scratched my A-pillar too 😒 most of it could be polished out but there was a few chips in line with bolts mostley from a swing ratchet I would guess.

akaburnsy

« Reply #9 on: 24-May-17, 14:15 »
Thanks for the feedback. LRA also confirmed that the tank wiring is not up to standard. They, the installer, have offered to go over everything they installed again and fit the winch, that I purchased elsewhere, for free. I'm going to give them the benefit of the the doubt and give them another chance. Cheers.

akaburnsy

Re: Seeking opinion on accessories install
« Reply #10 on: 17-Jun-17, 22:48 »
I took the car back to TJM Hendra and they fixed the dodgy wiring in the fuse box, however I found that the dodgy wiring on the tank had only been covered in split tubing. They offered some freebies and to fit my winch for free  to smooth things over. When I picked up the car, there were no freebies and the winch wasn't installed. They told me they tried to install it and it was too big. I found that they hadn't even opened the bag of bolts. I installed the winch myself wit ZERO clearance issues.

I just went for short drive and could smell petrol, so I inspected the tank again and found that the auxiliary filler hose had come off of the auxiliary filler neck. Absolutely disgusting. Now, not only do I have poorly insulated wiring on the tank, fuel vapors (and probably fuel) are being emitted a couple of centimeters away. How did they give me an engineering certificate for the tank? I'm glad I discovered it now and not in the middle of the Simpson Desert in 2 1/2 weeks time.

« Last Edit: 17-Jun-17, 22:56 by akaburnsy »

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #11 on: 18-Jun-17, 18:37 »
Wow, thats bullsh!t.
Hopefully you've documented the winch install that fits, the fuel line issues and wiring changes and then just go straight to TJM H/O and make a massive complaint.
Their HO is in QLD, might even be worth rocking up and delivering the complaint in person.
Seriously brand damaging thats for sure.

Miles fj

« Reply #12 on: 19-Jun-17, 10:55 »
This is why it is important to have any work done on a car way before any trip. Fully agreed with above regarding a massive complaint. Also worth mentioning the freebies that you didn't get, the work offered to compensate was not carried out, the fact that you may not be able to go on your dream year plan holiday because you have a leaking untrustworthy and dangerous new tank. Ask their head office another address to get your car fixed as you no longer trust the shop that have done the stuff up, at no cost to you....also mention the forum (it can be a powerful leverage) and that you hope that they will find a way to sort all of this. Going in person will save a lot of time.
As to a brand damage, as I said many time before, it is nearly impossible for a brand to supervise all the work done by their mechanics....still all this is far from being acceptable....
It will get fixed....
« Last Edit: 19-Jun-17, 11:02 by Miles fj »

GazLaz

« Reply #13 on: 19-Jun-17, 19:42 »
I agree miles, it is like saying toyota is crap because the dealer did a poor service.
I do get where UL is coming from though.

akaburnsy

« Reply #14 on: 19-Jun-17, 20:24 »
I agree and would have like to have had this done a while ago. This has actually  been dragged out since early April.

I was originally going to do the trip in my '12 Triton, but it broke down just before New Year's and was stuck at Nambour for six weeks (I live in Brisbane) only for Mitsubishi try to claim it wasn't a warranty job (they eventually paid). This turned me off common rail deisels...and Mitsubishi....and I ended with with the FJ.

Hopefully this will be a sorted when I pick it up tomorrow.

Miles fj

« Reply #15 on: 19-Jun-17, 20:44 »
I agree miles, it is like saying toyota is crap because the dealer did a poor service.
I do get where UL is coming from though.
Absolutely, me too...and also agreed.

GazLaz

« Reply #16 on: 19-Jun-17, 21:54 »
Good luck i hope it is sorted.
The tip about complaining to the head office is a good one.
You could also tell them that you will show the fuel tank to the dept of transport and if they give you a defect notice you will get it fixed at somewhere else and they will be liable for the costs.
Dont get them to do any other work....not even for free.

Off Grid

« Reply #17 on: 20-Jun-17, 18:23 »
The definition of the word "professional" in essence means someone who can relieve you of as much money as possible for some form of alleged advertised service - at maximum profit.
Doctors do it, lawyers do it, accountants do it.
IMHO a "successful professional" amounts to nothing more than a quasi-legal thief.
They may possess "qualifications" up to their whazoo, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're competent at what they do for a living.
Unfortunately they are "legally qualified" to stitch us poor consumers up without much legal recompense.
Remember: Doctors bury their mistakes, it's illegal to sue an incompetent lawyer and a dodgy accountant always has your signature to absolve any error.
Thank (insert favourite Deity here) for forums such as this whereby word of mouth can still exist to assist us poor plebs in making good decisions.
That doesn't look like fuel hose to me!
Looks more like common domestic garden sprinkler or maybe airline hose???
Do your homework and investigate it before it goes "kaboom".
Caveat Emptor - Legalese for "sucker born everyday".

Your statement "Ended up with the FJ" is pretty much like saying you got stood up for a date by Mimi McPhearson and had to date her older sister Elle...
 :smitten:
« Last Edit: 20-Jun-17, 18:37 by LostBoy »

dad

« Reply #18 on: 30-Jun-17, 20:52 »
Another victim.

I started a post some time back where members could recommend competent mechanics etc in there area with fair prices. Got quite a few good response's but the enthusiasm faded away. This is yet another sad outcome.

Maybe this site needs a dedicated list of member recommended services for there region ?

Commiseration Burnsy

Cheers

dad

Cruiser