Cruiser

Author Topic: Tin's Yellow FJ Tourer and tow tug  (Read 751 times)

Tin175

Tin's Yellow FJ Tourer and tow tug
« on: 21-Nov-17, 22:25 »
Time to move the trusty 150 Prado on.  Decided I wanted to get away from the Diesel worries and get a more dedicated fun 4wd.  The FJ is much smaller than the Prado but that won't be too much of a problem since it will be towing an Ultimate Camper most of the time.

Found a good deal on a Yellow FJ with 28,000 km on the clock.  Flew up to Gladstone to pick it up and then drove it back to Brisbane.  Its a 2014 model but was first registered in Feb 2015.  Pretty much stock other than Rhino platform rack and Safari Snorkel.

Will be setting it up for touring and the occasional 4wd park.

First things on the radar are
Lift and tyres - In Progress
UVP - working on my own design
Half barrier - Done, Centre mount added
Bull bar - In Progress
UHF radio with bandi mount
Transmission cooler - Done
Rock Rails - Done (Toyota OEM)

I have attached a picture of the FJ before mods.

Tin175

Re: Tin's Yellow FJ Tourer and tow tug
« Reply #1 on: 21-Nov-17, 22:40 »
Lift Kit
I spotted Mark's group buy for Re-Valved Ironman Foam Cell shocks on the Prado Forum.  I actually put my name down for a set even before I had bought my FJ Cruiser.  Gave me a reason to seriously start looking for an FJ to buy.

They are massive compared to the stock shocks or even the Bilsteins that I had in my Prado.
I also put in some airbags in the back since I tow a fair bit.

They took a good day to get them in.  I had chosen springs for the accessories that I had planned to put in.  Ride is quite firm but this should sort it self out once I get the bar, winch, battery and Fridge with shelving installed.

Tin175

« Reply #2 on: 21-Nov-17, 22:51 »
Shock Guards

The rear shocks and especially the lower bolt cop a hiding on the gravel roads and gibber plains.  I had made up some guards for the Prado that served us well up at Cape York and on our Simpson Trip.  The Ironman Shocks are so big I had to re-design the guards.  Decided to beef them up a bit too as the original design did bend under the constant pounding from the gravel and stones.

They are now 2.5mm Stainless and are welded on the bottom edge to help strengthen the guard.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: 20-Dec-17, 09:35 by Tin175 »

Tin175

« Reply #3 on: 21-Nov-17, 22:54 »
Toyota Rock Rails

Quite like the look of the OEM rock rails.  Wife is complaining that its not a step.  I'm thinking about making my own bolt on steps and come up with something a little different from what is available.

Tin175

« Reply #4 on: 21-Nov-17, 23:02 »
Transmission Cooler

This was one of my first modifications on the Prado after I got the scan gauge.  I was quite surprised with how hot the ATF fluid got so was keen to get a cooler installed.

The V6 Prados come with a factory transmission cooler.  I had assumed that the FJ would also have a cooler being a V6.
There is no standard cooler and the brackets for the 120 and 150 cooler don't fit.  There were a few options for mounting.  I finally settled on a position under the horn.  I had to relocate the temperature sensor to fit it.  The cooler I chose was the Davies Craig 678 Cooler.  Brackets are laser cut stainless steel.  I didn't bother with a thermo fan this time.

Tin175

« Reply #5 on: 22-Nov-17, 22:02 »
Black duck seat covers and LED interior lights

I have Black Duck canvas seat covers in the Prado and they were great.  Decided to stick with the same brand but in a Black Denim.  Looks and feels a bit more plush than the standard canvas.  Hopefully it will be just as durable and kid proof.

I also changed out the interior lights for LED.  These were just $3 kits from Ebay.  Work a treat.

Tin175

« Reply #6 on: 22-Nov-17, 22:10 »
Half Barrier with centre mount option

I have updated the half barrier design to allow for a centre mount.  Someone suggested I include a centre mount so that the 40 split fold seat could be lowered while still maintaining some support for the half barrier.  This will be handy for longer items.

The barrier is only design as a pet barrier or for light cargo.  The boot is smaller than the Prado so the barrier will allow us to pack the lighter items right upto the roof in needed.

I will probably included the centre mount as a standard item for future batches of barriers.

Tin175

« Reply #7 on: 22-Nov-17, 22:20 »
Drawers and Fridge

The shallow depth of the FJ boot posed some restrictions and challenges in regards to what configuration of drawer and fridge I would settle for.
I originally had decided to put in some fridge drawers but the Evacool 40 litre was too long to fit.  The Engel and Waeco are only 30L and do not freeze.

I decided to take a punt and put in a caravan fridge.  CRX65.  It is a 65 litre upright fridge with freezer compartment.  It will not need a fridge slide and actually takes up less space than a traditional flip top 65L fridge.  It is shallow enough for me to install the battery behind the fridge in the boot.

I have made up a plywood false floor and a box and shelving to go around the fridge.  Only disadvantage is that its not easy to remove the fridge when not in use and potential it will use more power as the cold air can escape more easily every time the door is opened.

Tin175

« Reply #8 on: 28-Nov-17, 22:13 »
UVP revisited

When I had the Prado I wasn't happy with the bash plates on the market at the time so I made my own.  I have learnt a few things since then and decided come up with a new design for the FJ.

Things that were important to me were
Ground clearance and approach angles
Recessed bolts for a smooth bottom
Ease of removal
Strength and ventilation

I have gone 4mm steel this time and have separated the plates into two parts so they are not so heavy and so that I could brace up against the cross member.  Did the first test fit and its pretty close.

Tin175

« Reply #9 on: 14-Dec-17, 22:24 »
TJM Bull bar install

Decided on the TJM bar.  It took me a solid day to install the bar and winch the help of a friend.  It went fairly smoothly other than the winch install and the final adjustment of gaps.  The weight of the bar and winch dropped the front by 20mm.  Adjusted the threaded coil seats on the Ironman shocks and got it back upto a 40mm lift.

Tin175

« Reply #10 on: 14-Dec-17, 22:28 »
Winch install and wiring

I had a Runva on the Prado and wasn't too impressed or dissapointed.  Decided to try a Mean Mother winch this time around.

Tin175

« Reply #11 on: 14-Dec-17, 22:31 »
Hema HN7 install

Moved the Hema from the Prado.  Struggled to mount it on the small vertical windscreen.  Settled on a spot above the rear view mirror.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: 20-Dec-17, 09:34 by Tin175 »

Tin175

« Reply #12 on: 14-Dec-17, 22:41 »
Heavy Duty Sump and Transmission Guards

New heavy duty UVP design for the FJ came back from zinc plating.  4mm thick with bracing and cross member supports.  It gives and extra 20mm clearance at the diff mount cross member compared with the standard plates.  The transmission guard looks like a sting ray.  It replaces the original tube braces and provides a smooth transition to the centre cross member.  Really happy with how these have turned out.  We went to alot of trouble to recess all the lower bolts.

Got myself some photos of the car flexing with the help of a forklift.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: 20-Dec-17, 09:33 by Tin175 »

Tin175

« Reply #13 on: 19-Jan-18, 09:18 »
Made up some bolt on side steps for the OEM rock rails.  The wife and kids really like this mod.
Bolts up to the mounting points like the Nfab ones but are wider and have more aggressive grip the on the folded edge.  Pretty quick to remove for when the track gets a bit serious.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tin175

« Reply #14 on: 19-Jan-18, 09:23 »
This was the last addition before heading down to Tassie over Christmas.  50" curved light bar mounted to the Platform rack.  Made up some custom brackets to keep it all flush and low.  Light bar give plenty of light up close but doesn't penetrate too far.  Some decent spotties are on the wish list.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tin175

« Reply #15 on: 19-Jan-18, 11:31 »
FJ handled its first big trip brilliantly.  Road trip from Brisbane to Tassie.  Did most of Tassie including some of the 4wd tracks on the West Coast.

Mt Panorama on the way down
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Towed the trailer through the Balfour Track
And then the Climies Track the next day
Got some mud on the FJ along the Montezuma falls track
Jacob's Ladder at Ben Lomond was pretty cool.  Foggy the first day but cleared up the next morning.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tin175

« Reply #16 on: 13-Feb-18, 15:22 »
Bandi style aerial mount and bottle opener