Cruiser

Author Topic: To buy, or not to buy?  (Read 670 times)

Bazzaboy

To buy, or not to buy?
« on: 13-Feb-18, 10:53 »
G'Day guys,

My first post. please forgive me for any stupid or annoying questions I may ask of you .......

As I mentioned in my introduction, I currently own a 2014 Titanium Patrol and are thinking of selling or trading her for a similar year FJ Cruiser. Having owned two 120 Prados in the past, I have a great affection for the V6 motor and I love the retro shape of the Cruiser.

Questions:
a. I realize that it will be a compromise in size & storage space from the Patrol to the Cruiser, but is there much difference from a 120 Prado to the Cruiser, in real life, when packing for a camping weekend?
b. Is the engine performance in the Cruiser the same or better than a V6 120 Prado given any unladen weight differences? ( I tow a 5mtr aluminum fishing boat )
c. What is the fuel capacity & average usage in a 2014 Cruiser compared to V6 Prado when towing/non towing.

Enough for now, don't want to wear out my welcome this early.
Thanks guys.

Bradmull83

Re: To buy, or not to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 13-Feb-18, 11:01 »
I went from a 120 to a fj, and there's a very large decrease in space. So much so I've bought a small trailer and put 4x4 tyres on it just to go on a family camping trip. (I'm not loading a wind break onto the roof)
 Rear area is only about 1mt wide and 70cm deep at the floor, rear seat leans back to give less room above. If it's just you and one other laying the seats down increases the room a lot but if you need that back seat you won't fit a packed Prado in there

Bradmull83

« Reply #2 on: 13-Feb-18, 11:05 »
My 120 was diesel so can't  comment on too much, but I believe the Toyota v6 petrol is the same motor in both the hilux, fj and Prado. So fuel efficiency should be close to the same but fj is a bit lighter but also a brick on the hwy

dogg15

« Reply #3 on: 13-Feb-18, 12:07 »
It chews fuel and there’s stuff all storage space.

Yota

« Reply #4 on: 13-Feb-18, 13:26 »
G’day Bazza, I can help give you an idea about question “C”.
I just towed my boat to Lakes Entrance and back over Australia Day stinking hot weekend.
From my place it was about a 760klm return trip. Literally just made it home with the dash fuel light on.
I’ve got a 2014 FJ with standard fitted twin fuel tanks (159 litre capacity). And of course the fuel prices jacked up an extra 20c/litre for the long weekend but that’s another story,,,,
The boat/motor/trailer and all the gear weigh in about 1750-1800kg. Probably a lot heavier than your fishing boat.
So by my rough calculations it works out to average about 20 litres/100klm.
I just drove it normally I didn’t baby it or give it stick.
Normally the consumption is about 14litres/100klms.

There was 2 of us in the car and a small dog and some gear for a 3 day weekend staying at a hotel.
It’s not the most fuel efficient transport but that means “0” deals to me. I have the FJ because it’s an FJ ! A fantastic car that suits my needs.
Cheers
Jamie

Sent using Tapatalk

RedFJC

« Reply #5 on: 13-Feb-18, 13:38 »
Chews fuel, has hardly any storage space unless you make it work with shelves, drawers etc, it’s literally like driving a brick down the highway especially once you add bigger tires, lift kit etc but it’s so unbelievably capable and 100x better then a mum bus prado. Get one you won’t regret it, I’m using around 15L per 100 with lift, bigger wheels, Comp bar etc.

RedFJC

« Reply #6 on: 13-Feb-18, 13:40 »
I’ve also heard they use roughly the same amount of fuel as the prado and hilux with similar mods, it’s also a different motor from the 120 prado it’s the same as the 150 prado tho I believe.

clubracer

« Reply #7 on: 13-Feb-18, 13:46 »
I went from a Disco 4 to a Patrol to the FJ.  yes you lose space but you adapt and have more fun.

Do it.

Bazzaboy

« Reply #8 on: 13-Feb-18, 16:09 »
Thanks guys ( I think ). I must say that I'm a bit shocked with some of that info. Having not driven or measured an FJ, the lack of space ( in comparison ) has set me back a bit, as I am not a frugal camper. It has not completely changed the plot, but it would mean a very big change in my camping set-ups.
The fuel usage is also surprising. Doesn't sound that much different from my last 120 V6 Prado, especially when towing, which is not that bad, but interesting that Jamie's FJ used more that my current Patrol. I too traveled about the same klms on the last Australia Day weekend to Wyangala Dam and back in my normally "very thirsty" diesel Patrol. Three big guys, truck fully loaded with gear and a 5 mtr aluminum boat also full of camping gear, and with 100lts of fuel and a 85hp outboard. All up about 4.5ton. Surprisingly it returned about 17-18lts/100klms. I would not have believed that my Patrol would drink less that an FJ with a similar load.
Anyway ..... thank you guys for your info, it all helps me to decide what to do. Thankfully I have a number of choices, sell and buy an FJ, or keep both. I let you know the outcome.

dogg15

« Reply #9 on: 13-Feb-18, 16:35 »
Keep the patrol. You’re not going to fit anywhere near that much gear or get that fuel economy towing with fj.

MattP

« Reply #10 on: 13-Feb-18, 18:34 »
Admittedly I don't flog it but on my last trip away with my forward fold camper (1500kg) heading out west I used 110L in 757 km (14.5 l/100km) with two of us in the car, standard wheels, bullbar and winch.   Similar for previous trips.

pfbiker13

« Reply #11 on: 13-Feb-18, 19:53 »
Bazza,

I tow a 1600kg camper have bigger tyres, bar, 2" lift roof rack and egenerally get 16 to 17.5 l/100km. I'm happy with that because the motor is standard and doesnt lack the power to pull it.
 I used to tow a 2t boat and was getting 17l/100km but that was befor the mods. It also depends. With all the gear you take camping and yrour boat you may be better of with a bigger truck or LC200. It has to suit your needs or I think youd be disapointed.
What I like is its ability in sand, it gust eats it up.

Onthemove

« Reply #12 on: 13-Feb-18, 21:06 »
I’m a bit surprised with some of the fuel consumption figures. Mine is 2015. 2” lift, steel bar, winch, 33” Mickey Thompson, roof rack, snorkel, foxwing. Prins LPG conversion
Normally I get 16/100 (more than 1/2 hwy travel)
Australia Day weekend I went to the Murray, towed my Tvan (pretty loaded but not overloaded). Fj didn’t have much in it but I have a big Yakima roofbox and I got 450km from 95lts of LPG so 21.1lt/100. I pretty much sit on 103ish kph. I tow in 4th
Last Murray trip I ran some PULP but can’t quite remember if it was 16lt/100. Maybe 18?
Head wind will change those figures quickly 🙄

Yota

« Reply #13 on: 13-Feb-18, 22:07 »
Re my fuel consumption,
That’s something I did forget about - I did travel a majority of the time in 4th gear.
Other factors are my BMT (boat/motor/trailer) is almost 8 meters long and it’s only got mechanical brakes.
All these things add up to less economy.
FWIW my FJ also has a TJM bar and winch, roof racks, OME lift, drifta draws full of tools and probably other stuff I’ve forgot to add.
So it’s not THE most efficient but it had plenty of power, come to think of it I did overtake a lot of cars ha ha ha. 

Sent using Tapatalk

RedFJC

« Reply #14 on: 14-Feb-18, 05:45 »
How many k’s on the patrol ?

Bazzaboy

« Reply #15 on: 14-Feb-18, 07:23 »
How many k’s on the patrol ?
About 47,000klms.

Bradmull83

« Reply #16 on: 14-Feb-18, 07:30 »
Admittedly I don't flog it but on my last trip away with my forward fold camper (1500kg) heading out west I used 110L in 757 km (14.5 l/100km) with two of us in the car, standard wheels, bullbar and winch.   Similar for previous trips.
Wow I wish I got close to 15/100

Bradmull83

« Reply #17 on: 14-Feb-18, 07:33 »
Bazza,

I tow a 1600kg camper have bigger tyres, bar, 2" lift roof rack and egenerally get 16 to 17.5 l/100km. I'm happy with that because the motor is standard and doesnt lack the power to pull it.
 I used to tow a 2t boat and was getting 17l/100km but that was befor the mods. It also depends. With all the gear you take camping and yrour boat you may be better of with a bigger truck or LC200. It has to suit your needs or I think youd be disapointed.

What I like is its ability in sand, it gust eats it up.
Lol that's what I get without towing. Although I've increased tyre pressures and running on 95 now so hopefully average will come down. I'll be happy with 15/100

Bradmull83

« Reply #18 on: 14-Feb-18, 07:33 »
You can always load your boat with some of the gear you don't fit in the fj. Best bet is find a member locally and have a look first hand

RedFJC

« Reply #19 on: 14-Feb-18, 08:17 »
Get rid of it before that 3 litre blows itself up lol

Off Grid

« Reply #20 on: 14-Feb-18, 08:42 »
I must have a "magic" FJ!
I'm averaging 1200-1300Kms per 159 litres around town in stop/start traffic loaded with tools and 140 litres of water.
OEM Lift, X-Rox bar, winch, UVP, 1/2 size alloy roof rack, 42" LED lightbar on the roof on MTs at 36 PSI.
She's no lightweight and has the aero of a parachute full of concrete.
That's averaging 12.5L per 100Kms.
Note: I ONLY run on 98 RON.
Maybe that's the difference.
Sure it's expensive fuel, but fortunately the FJ carries enough to let me decide when to refuel - usually when the Petrol Pirates are having a low day.

As for storage, well that all depends on how creative you are.
For an extended tour of a week or more:
All my gear carefully packs into interlocking lidded plastic boxes.
Kitchen/cooking gear in one, foodstuffs in another, alcomahol in a 42 litre cooler with the same footprint, small 11 Litre Waeco freezer (no space hogging slide is required), Travel Buddy oven on top, 12VDC 38A box o'batteries, duffle full of clothing, 12VDC-240VAC inverter, 240VAC-12VDC 8A power supply, various hunting backpacks, various hunting/fishing gear, awning tent & sidewall, shower tent.
Full recovery gear, compressor, essential tools, 10 Litres of 2-stroke & another 10 of 98 fuel behind or under the front seats, acoustic guitar, 240VAC 2KVA generator and porta-crapper strapped down on the rear seat using the factory seat belts.
Solar array, swag, chainsaw, fold-up chair and table, swing over steel BBQ lashed down on the roof, a pair of TREDs and a shovel with plenty of spare room for a few campfire logs.
Being a single bloke, I don't take passengers, so my front seat usually has a 60 Litre bug-out bag full of easy-to-get-to essentials strapped in. Fits on the back seat if I pick up a stray along the way.
If I'm touring for more than a week, I'll tow my dirt-bike and load everything else in the trailer. :goodone:
« Last Edit: 14-Feb-18, 08:53 by Off Grid »

Bazzaboy

« Reply #21 on: 14-Feb-18, 08:47 »
Get rid of it before that 3 litre blows itself up lol
Yeh. The late model 3lt CRD's don't suffer engine failures any more or less than other late model diesels, when given the required regular service & maintenance. The early model 3lt DI Patrols ( 2000 - 2005 ) were the "risky" models. 

Bazzaboy

« Reply #22 on: 14-Feb-18, 08:58 »
You can always load your boat with some of the gear you don't fit in the fj. Best bet is find a member locally and have a look first hand
My son has a mate who's father owns a low mileage 2013 FJ and may be interested in "up-sizing" to a Patrol or Landcruiser. I'm hoping to do a swap with him for a weekend so we can compare rigs, if he's agreeable. Something like this would be perfect for me ( all things being equal ) as his is already fitted with all the gear, as is mine. In a perfect world it would save both of us re-equipping both vehicles.

RedFJC

« Reply #23 on: 14-Feb-18, 09:18 »
The one thing I find quiet interesting is I seem to get nearly the same k’s per tank wether it be driving around town or a full tank of highway driving, and that tends to be around that 1000k’s per tank mark. Gotta remember that with the larger tyres the speedo is now accurate but the odometer is now out so may make a little amount of difference. Anywhere around 1000 to a tank not towing is fairly good going I think, I also drive fairly hard so if I was a fair bit more conservative I’d probably squeeze another 200k out of it.

Miles fj

« Reply #24 on: 14-Feb-18, 10:50 »
I must have a "magic" FJ!
I'm averaging 1200-1300Kms per 159 litres around town in stop/start traffic loaded with tools and 140 litres of water.
OEM Lift, X-Rox bar, winch, UVP, 1/2 size alloy roof rack, 42" LED lightbar on the roof on MTs at 36 PSI.
What size and brand tyres do you have ?, those can make some difference in fuel consumption and yours is doing very well indeed...:)
Just curious !