Cruiser

Author Topic: Winch Hook While Offroad  (Read 196 times)

Angling FJ

Winch Hook While Offroad
« on: 09-Feb-18, 18:23 »
So with the winch now fitted I'm trying to sort out a convenient way to kep the hook easily accessible when offroad.

Don't want it connected to a recovery point as it'd be a pain to get if stuck in mud, water or even in steep country.

Was thinking of this. Any reason to NOT do this? Are there better ways? What do you all do?

Thanks in advance.

619A3136-4C7B-4ACA-80F9-CF39DFBB9CC8.jpgWinch Hook While Offroad

Miles fj

Re: Winch Hook While Offroad
« Reply #1 on: 09-Feb-18, 18:52 »
Not that I use the winch much at all but I don't use the hook, I use shackle instead...the winch rope is just in, level with the winch fairlead  behind the number plate when not in use, and I just pull it a few cm just to able to grab it, not too much as to not pick up anything on the road, when doing 4x4. Sometime I take the hook in my tool box just in case but it is still very shinny !
I am not a fan of getting the rope fixed on the recovery hook as it may get damaged by branches or other...just me though !

Angling FJ

« Reply #2 on: 09-Feb-18, 19:28 »
Thanks Miles,

That all makes sense. I'm not expecting to be needing it a lot but as it's just Bec and I on the road solo most of the time I want to make it easy and quick if/when we do need to use it.

Can imagine your setup would be pretty quick and easy too.

UnknownLatitude

« Reply #3 on: 09-Feb-18, 20:30 »
I put a Prolink shackle on the front of mine as I didn't want to deal with that hook and have it hanging out or attached to a recovery point.
http://factor55.com/prolink/

Angling FJ

« Reply #4 on: 09-Feb-18, 20:40 »
Pretty snazzy bit of kit mate. I like the look of those.

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #5 on: 12-Feb-18, 14:57 »
@14CRZR uses a big o-ring looped around the top of the bar to hold it

Crackles

« Reply #6 on: 12-Feb-18, 16:31 »
It appears to me you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Why not just fold the hook flat?

20180210_113412.jpgWinch Hook While Offroad

Angling FJ

« Reply #7 on: 12-Feb-18, 16:45 »
Thanks Crackles but that big yellow stopper on mine stops this from being possible. Should I just ditch the yellow disc perhaps?
It appears to me you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Why not just fold the hook flat?

20180210_113412.jpgWinch Hook While Offroad

RedFJC

« Reply #8 on: 13-Feb-18, 07:24 »
Why not remove the hook and leave the disc on there ?