Cruiser

Author Topic: transmission cooler  (Read 647 times)

andrew3134

transmission cooler
« on: 08-Feb-18, 17:52 »
Hi Guys,

just wondering if anyone has fitted one of the trans coolers from an Australian company called KAON?

The cooler looks well made & fairly easy to install.

regards Andrew

RedFJC

Re: transmission cooler
« Reply #1 on: 08-Feb-18, 18:59 »
He’s actually a member on this forum with an Fj.

Getdan

« Reply #2 on: 08-Feb-18, 19:03 »
g'day Andrew

The cooler in the kit is Craig Davies, made here in Aus. KAON sell in a nice kit with all you need including FJ brackets.  I just bought one and it arrived today looks excellent. :happythumbsup:

KAON is "Tin Tin's" business, he's an FJ owner and forum member
Cheers Dan

RedFJC

« Reply #3 on: 08-Feb-18, 20:06 »
His new forum name is tin175 or something along those lines.

andrew3134

« Reply #4 on: 08-Feb-18, 20:37 »
thanks for quick reply's everyone.

Dan can you please keep me updated on how the install goes, as i am very keen to get one.

thanks Andrew

stuey2308

« Reply #5 on: 08-Feb-18, 21:26 »
Mate, I got one last year, soon as he knocked it up for his Fj I oder one. Fits easy, install takes 30 mins to bolt it up and with the help of mate/mechanic another hour and she was running.

The kit is quality and comes with everything you need. I even asked Tin to knock up a ARB on board compressor mount which he did in a few days for me. All fits perfectly and havnt had any issues nor do i think i will. Oh and I am not affiliated bahaha just happy with the service and quality of a fellow Fjer's business

Cheers stu

Getdan

« Reply #6 on: 08-Feb-18, 23:19 »

Dan can you please keep me updated on how the install goes, as i am very keen to get one.

thanks Andrew
Will do Andrew, not sure if I'll get to it this weekend, but it will be pretty soon.
Don't hesitate to jump in though, as Stuey2308 says it's pretty straight forward - good instructions are included in the kit....unsexy but very large peace of mind mod!  :smileyblink:

Getdan

« Reply #7 on: 08-Feb-18, 23:25 »
Mate, I got one last year, soon as he knocked it up for his Fj I oder one. Fits easy, install takes 30 mins to bolt it up and with the help of mate/mechanic another hour and she was running.

The kit is quality and comes with everything you need. I even asked Tin to knock up a ARB on board compressor mount which he did in a few days for me. All fits perfectly and havnt had any issues nor do i think i will. Oh and I am not affiliated bahaha just happy with the service and quality of a fellow Fjer's business

Cheers stu
Gday Stu
Where is your compressor located? Wonder if Tin would do others??  I'm hoping to squeeze one in under the hood

Tin175

« Reply #8 on: 09-Feb-18, 08:25 »
Thanks for all the great feedback.  Feeling chuffed.

Kaon is our 4x4 Brand.  Only a very small part of our machining and fabrication business but looking to grow it.

This kit currently comes with Craig Davies cooler which is Australian made.  I am in the process of offering the Trucool cooler as an option.  Been meaning to put up a thread but have been on too many camping trips. :)

The compressor bracket I made goes where the second battery would fit.  Might not suit everyone.

Compressor tray.jpgtransmission cooler

andrew3134

« Reply #9 on: 09-Feb-18, 09:45 »
Hi Tin175,

looks like you have a really good product there, hopefully I will be buying a cooler from you in the very near future.

Thanks Andrew

Yota

« Reply #10 on: 09-Feb-18, 12:31 »
Hi Tin175, the product (cooler bracket kit) looks great. Is there any benefits between the 2 coolers you offer ?
Cheers
Jamie

Sent using Tapatalk

Tin175

« Reply #11 on: 09-Feb-18, 13:00 »
The trucool (longs) cooler is a very similar size with a different construction.  It does not have fine fins and is claimed to allow more airflow and is more efficient.  It is claimed to withstand high pressure water cleaning without damage.  They are made in Mexico and will cost a bit more than the Australian made Davies Craig cooler.  It will be about $10 to $20 more.  I've had the Davies Craig cooler in my Prado and did the Cape and Simpson with no issues.  I like to support Australian but the Trucool does have advantages so I have made the effort to source these and offer the choice.

All the new brackets I make will fit both Davies Craig and the Trucool coolers.

Miles fj

« Reply #12 on: 09-Feb-18, 15:17 »
I also think that the trucool have a bypass valving system when the oil is cold

KathyL

« Reply #13 on: 09-Feb-18, 15:34 »
I also think that the trucool have a bypass valving system when the oil is cold
It does and, as I live in a cold climate, that was the reason I chose the TruCool over the DaviesCraig.

Yota

« Reply #14 on: 09-Feb-18, 17:18 »
Thanks for the replies Kathy and Miles. Just waiting for some overtime $$ ,,,,,,,,,,,, then I’ll do it.
Sounds like the Aussie made one is the deal. I’ve had no issues with a cold transmission so sounds like the bypass valve is not an issue for me.

Thanks again.

Sent using Tapatalk

Getdan

« Reply #15 on: 12-Feb-18, 14:31 »

thanks Andrew
Gday Andrew
Stage one of the cooler install complete.  This was all pretty straight forward, you just need to remove the grill to get access, a couple of screw and a couple of clips.  The bottom bracket bolt is a bit tricky to seat if you have a bull bar but other than that it's a cinch.  Best to bolt the brackets to the cooler first as they are tricky to reach once you install the unit.  The horn and sensor were easy to relocate as per the instructions provided.

I'll probably do the plumbing next weekend and will post up some more pics.  Bonus you get to clean in some areas that often don't get much of a look in unless you regularly remove the grill during cleaning.
Cheers Dan
IMG_2766.jpg
transmission cooler * IMG_2766.jpg
(158.92 kB, 1024x768)
IMG_2768.jpg
transmission cooler * IMG_2768.jpg
(112.8 kB, 1024x768)
IMG_2767.jpg
transmission cooler * IMG_2767.jpg
(100.79 kB, 1024x768)

andrew3134

« Reply #16 on: 12-Feb-18, 15:34 »
Thanks for that Dan,

I have a bulbar fitted also.

I have paid for KAON cooler late last week, so hopefully it should arrive either this week or next week.

either way looking forward to fitting it to the car, as I personally think it is an essential part, that should really be fitted as part of the standard equipment.

Regards Andrew

Getdan

« Reply #17 on: 12-Feb-18, 15:56 »
likewise, seems like a no brainer as confirmed by many forum members!
Good luck with your install!
Cheers
Dan

sysie

« Reply #18 on: 12-Feb-18, 23:51 »
How do you buy the KAON kit?.. ebay?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Getdan

« Reply #19 on: 13-Feb-18, 01:02 »
How do you buy the KAON kit?.. ebay?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
From their online store;
https://www.kaon.com.au/store/c3/Transmission_Coolers.html

Onthemove

« Reply #20 on: 13-Feb-18, 20:42 »
Do they do FJCC discount??

RedFJC

« Reply #21 on: 14-Feb-18, 08:19 »
I honestly think it’s already pretty cheap.. plus you’re supporting a fellow member, owner and Australian.

Miles fj

« Reply #22 on: 14-Feb-18, 09:16 »
And if RedFJC say it is cheap, if you would know him, that is an impressive reference :)

dogg15

« Reply #23 on: 14-Feb-18, 09:18 »
Yeh he should be buying one of your yaw calibration tools.

RedFJC

« Reply #24 on: 14-Feb-18, 09:18 »
When you’re saving for a house and a wedding every last dollar makes a difference haha

Cruiser