Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dad on 10 Dec 2017
  • As we pull together the basics of this one-off Flinders Ranges event via an Organising Team, our simple task for 2017 is to provide all members with dates to put into their diaries for next years FJCC Trips if they wish.

Commences Friday 1st June to Friday 8th June.
    Willow Springs Station home of the Famous Skytrek 4WD Track will be Base Camp.

We will conduct Day and Half Day Trips during the event.

With our memberships considerable local and national knowledge of the Flinders Ranges can any member advise of their very best Flinders Ranges 4WD track that should be considered for inclusion for this event?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Maybe a bottle of good SA Red for the 3 best Tracks could be considered (supplied at the Skytrek Campfire, of course  :happydude: )

Cheers

dad

Cheers

dad
  • #2 by sydneysally99 on 10 Dec 2017
  • Wow....memories of 2012 Summit...

How many of us are still around to retrace the trip?

• #3 by dad on 11 Dec 2017
  • DIARISE THESE DATES FOR THE FJCC JUNE 2018 ANNIVERSARY TRIP TO SKYTREK SA.

We have just settled on dates for this epic FJCC South Australian Anniversary of the Launch of our beloved FJ Cruiser as promised.

Event commences on Friday 1st June 2018
    Completion: Monday 4th June 2018
    This allow for the locals who cannot get time off to participate over the weekend.

Extended Event and FJCC Trips:
    For those interstate travellers and those lucky enough to have the time for a thorough look at the Flinders Ranges, FJCC Trips will continue to be organised up to Thursday 7th June giving plenty of opportunities to see this beautiful part of the world.

Venue:
    Willow Springs Station - home of the legendary Skytrek 4WD Loop.

Please Note. (***) As a registered 4WD Club discounts will apply. Additional negotiations are still underway. Best to give us time to get the best possible deal with the publication of discounted rates when all is locked down.

Camping with full amenities - For Bookings and information see their Web Page and ring Carmel to guarantee your site. 08 8648 0016 - Just mention your a FJCC member (***)

Accommodation:
    Best ring direct to FRABS ( Flinders Ranges Accommodation Service) at Hawker SA for the accommodation range for bookings.
    1800 777 880

The Organising Team with great input from many members of our national community will work on all the options.
    We will have the very best Day and Half Day trips that the Flinders can provide.

A full detailed program will be worked on and provided in good time.

First Steps Done :goodone:
    Thanks to all who put considerable effort in suggesting 4WD Tracks and scenic places to visit.
    Just continue to PM dad if you have any Flinders Gem you want to share.

Cheers

dad

• #4 by drwormy on 12 Dec 2017
  • Hi dad

Can I make a suggestion?  Keep the first post in this thread updated with dates, details and attendees.  That way it's clear where to go to be informed, rather than possibly needing to read the entire thread to be up to date.
  • #5 by KathyL on 12 Dec 2017
  • Hi dad

Can I make a suggestion?  Keep the first post in this thread updated with dates, details and attendees.  That way it's clear where to go to be informed, rather than possibly needing to read the entire thread to be up to date.
    It may be better to link this topic to the relevant start date in the calendar and use the forum’s inbuilt event registration system for members to register their interest (I have some enhancements in the pipeline for the event registration system which I’ll implement in February when I get back from my next trip which starts this Friday).
  • #6 by dad on 12 Dec 2017
  • It may be better to link this topic to the relevant start date in the calendar and use the forum’s inbuilt event registration system for members to register their interest (I have some enhancements in the pipeline for the event registration system which I’ll implement in February when I get back from my next trip which starts this Friday).
    Thanks Kath and DR,
    I'm a little wobbly with this sites intricacies so help is much appreciated.
    Currently I've asked the SA members of the Organising Team to use the SA Chapter for the benefit of those still active in SA to take ownership of this Event and use it to reactivate a very dormant chapter. Many have gone to FaceBook which we are putting the word out locally so people are aware.

I was to keep the main forum up to speed with Event developments.

Enjoy your Tasmanian adventure Kath - don't forget some photos

Cheers

dad
  • #7 by KathyL on 13 Dec 2017
  • It may be better to link this topic to the relevant start date in the calendar and use the forum’s inbuilt event registration system for members to register their interest (I have some enhancements in the pipeline for the event registration system which I’ll implement in February when I get back from my next trip which starts this Friday).
    I'm a little wobbly with this sites intricacies so help is much appreciated.
    I've put together some info on the Event Registration System that may assist you.

Enjoy your Tasmanian adventure Kath - don't forget some photos
    Will do!
  • #8 by dad on 16 Dec 2017
  • Thanks Kath,

We have most of the logistics done for the Event except for Rego. That will start in the new year

Cheers

dad
  • #9 by dad on 20 Dec 2017
  • .... AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (quote from Monty Python)

Some Christmas Pressies for those who are planning to come to this one-off Flinders Ranges Classic in June 2018.

Starts Friday 1st. June - where out Friday 8th June 2018 - so you can choose whether it's a weekend from Adelaide or as Nuke pointed out - time to have a good look around  :smileyblink:   .... at the most minimal cost. Remember, the best most scenic tracks are all on private Stations.

While I thought things would quieten down, the passion of myself and the SA Team continues unabated.
    So lock in your Leave, get that new Air Compressor for Xmas and have a look at what your in for ...

{The major items on this list are confirmed, more will be sorted and fine tuned in the new year - dad}

* Up to 60% discounts for members attending on private local and northern Tracks that are recognised being the Flinders most scenic and not frequently visited - rated from easy to hard.
    Most tracks are accomplished by standard FJ's and have experienced Trip Leaders ensuring a safe and memorable Trip.
    One Trip is a 5hr trip - Medium Hard up to 700m near the highest in the Flinders and has recorded snow. Our member professional photographer and you will delight in this one. Bring your camera.

* We have negotiated a two trips for less than one on selected days in the Northern Flinders but it will need bookings as with the others because of a maximum of 10 vehicles allowance. Not to worry as we can organise a second set of trips on days that suite us and our programme.

* We are working on a 'Welcome to Country' by the Adnyamathanha people (traditional owners of the Flinders Ranges region) followed by a presentation of some of their Dreamtime Stories of the region.

* Base camp, Willow Springs Station (Home of the famous Skytrek - FJ Launch Track) is very supportive with Discounted everything. For those seeking accommodation we are in discussions with WS after Christmas including supplied wood.

* We are seeking the support of SA Tourism for the event given the amount of 4WD's that come to the Flinders. A win - win for us and SA.

* We have invited a journalist to accompany us on one of our Trips and I'm thinking "The Widowmaker"

* A Club Lunch or Dinner at Wipena Pound Resort with entertainment (no rapper music)

* Discounted Flights from Wilpena over Wilpena Pound (the only way to see it) and everywhere up to Kati Thanda {or Lake Eyre} The 20min photoshoot is us and is the cheapest.

* Sponsorships are in train with SA Wines (my personal favourite), ARB and Snowys to start with for our traditional and popular Raffles with all revenue going to Kids with Cancer.

* I know I've forgot something  :derr:

Kathy and GetDan will organise Registrations with Kathy's new system on her return in February.

More the merrier Lassies and Lads and we will firming up further details in the new year.

Cheers and Take Care

dad

• #10 by dad on 03 Jan 2018
  • Just another quick update prior our South Australian organising Team returning from holidays.

ARB's Melbourne head office has just confirmed they will be a major event sponsor for our FJ Cruiser Launch Anniversary in June.

What that means for the benefit of new members is not only you will experience the very best adventures with other FJ's in the "Must See" Flinders Ranges - all designed by locals! ....

... but also a chance to win great ARB products at the event with all proceeds going to Kids with Cancer.

Stay Tuned

Cheers

dad
  • #11 by dad on 07 Jan 2018
  • Quick Update:
    The Event Organising Team; Craig, Dan and Cam are firing up and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the support we have received from members, sponsors and in particular Brendan, Carmel and Michelle at Willow Springs Station, Flinders Rangers.

At the moment it's all spade work with great help from Paul Kaz and Millab instrumental in providing our Tee Shirts and Stickers. Thank you guys I will contact soon. 

We have an offer from a Team members daughter to design the famous helicopter drop of an FJ Cruiser near the Widowmaker Track in the media launch in 2011 for our Tee Shirts. She is a graphic designer that has worked on the Movie Wallace and Grommet.
    Clearly a real professional - and helping the FJCC - an Angel

Most of the work so far has been with sponsors, Station private Tracks organisation and preparing itineraries with the hardest thing to do deciding which of the best most scenic tracks will be in or out.

Our South Aussie Team will be checking out the tracks in March. Local knowledge Rocks!

A Rest Day mid-week Club Luncheon, discounted flights option and a quiet happy hour is being refined for the benefit of the older ones - me :cool4:

Most member contact to date has been via PM's and emails but in February we will begin registrations and orders for Tee Shirts and Stickers.
    Near that time a full programme will be close to being finalised.

I'm in contact with "Kids with Cancer Foundation" who are delighted that all our Event proceeds will go to them.

Thanks again from the Organising team for such great help and advice to make this Event an FJCC Classic   :happythumbsup:

Qld, NSW, ACT, Vic members (no-one from WA?)
    For any questions or information please PM me or email - dadmatho@hotmail.com

South Aussies
    PM GetDan, Cambiscuit or Craig the Black (see members list for info)

Cheers

dad
  • #12 by dad on 11 Jan 2018
  • I completed the registration details for Kids with Cancer Foundation for our June Flinders Spectacular  and they have advised they will not only assist with media add's but promote the Event nationally online. Great people to work with.

Cheers

dad

....... a kid drew this  :smitten:

* Kids Icon.pdf
  • #13 by dad on 12 Jan 2018
  • To add more spice to our multi facetted Flinders event, we have just received permission from the Station owners to hold for all attending members a "Welcome to Country" by the Adnyamathanha people, the traditional custodians of the Flinders Ranges for the last 50,000 years. If all goes well, there will be dancing and story telling which we would accept with the greatest respect.

This will be something to experience.

Don't hesitate to contact dad for any information regarding this Event.

Remember Official Registrations commence in February.
    Organise your leave and get down there.
    This will be a once off Event that shouldn't be missed.

Cheers

dad
  • #14 by dad on 13 Jan 2018
  • In keeping with our blow by blow information to members as it happens;

Today:
    * We are all but over the line with a combination of 4WD Tracks that have not been driven for 6 years. Some sections are over 900m following ridge lines. Bring your camera's and maybe your snow chains for this one  :happyclap:

* We have had great interest and support from sponsors including discounted petrol for FJCC members. We will be keeping up to date with this one.

* A nightly communal bonfire has been organised with logs supplied by Willow Springs Station.

* Our FJCC midweek Lunch and Raffle Draw has been moved to Rawnsley Station's Woolshed Restaurant.

Stay tuned

Cheers

dad

Skytrek in snow.jpgAnniversary Trip of the 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Launch at Skytrek SA June '18
  • #15 by FJGav on 16 Jan 2018
  • This would be so cool, can I lead us to the Three Sister's monument again? It went so well last time :D

EDIT: I have forwarded this thread onto our new WA State Coordinator. I think he may like this trip :D 
  • #16 by dad on 16 Jan 2018
  • This would be so cool, can I lead us to the Three Sister's monument again? It went so well last time :D

EDIT: I have forwarded this thread onto our new WA State Coordinator. I think he may like this trip :D

You know the welcome mat is there Gav. The support for this one is incredible as you would have read. Just talking to KathyL and our new registration system will be kicking some time in February.

re 'The Three Sisters' you have got yourself a date mate  :happythumbsup:  :happyclap:

Cheers

dad
  • #17 by dad on 17 Jan 2018
  • With our June Epic growing very big wings, the momentum continues.
    Here is another teaser but this time for the culinary experts and 4WDing gourmet's.

While our specific Day Trips are kept in the FJCC vault at this stage, I can advise that two trips run simultaneously (two grades) will converge on one of the Flinders iconic Pubs.
    Parachilna's Famous "Prairie Hotel"
    Considering we have used it as a base camp previously, certain lunch considerations are a must.
    Namely the infamous 'Feral Antipasto' their signature sharing platter :scared1:

... and the King of Flinders Gourmet Lunches .... 'The FMG'
    or 'The Feral Mixed Grill'

A bartender who reminded me so much of Peter Sellars, explained how this gourmet dish was created. We recorded and it still promotes a giggle or two.

"I travel the tracks around Para every morning and lovingly select only the finest road kill followed by chucking the very best cuts on the Ute. I then leave them in the hot sun for exactly 4hr 10minutes.
    No more - No less.
    I then light a small Mallee/Spinifex fire at the back of the Pub and throw the cuts in for 12 minutes at exactly 210C.
    No more - No less
    The remains are garnished with great care (some reference to the Food Inspectors) and served to our cherished guests who devour it with gusto"

This guy is about 6'5" and said he has never had a complaint. He says he hails from somewhere near Wolf Creek Crater.

Certainly something to look forward to  :cool4:

Cheers

dad

* Prairie Pub Menu.pdf

Parachilna Lunch.jpgAnniversary Trip of the 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Launch at Skytrek SA June '18
  • #18 by dad on 18 Jan 2018
  • A More Serious Update,
    This morning Willow Springs Station via the Flinders Ranges Booking Service (FRABS) at Hawker will be holding accommodation for our June Event for FJCC members. Google 'Willow Springs Station'

This discounted offer will end Friday 2nd February 2018.

Also included is holding the Shearers Quarters for FJCC members.
    This clean spacious venue has all amenities with 11 bedrooms having a mixture of designs.
    It would be ideal for members who prefer not to camp, is centrally located near FJCC HQ.
    At $33pp for full occupancy you couldn't go far wrong.

Members seeing this as an opportunity could simply call for interested members on this site and stay at the Quarters.
    All accommodation is booked via Flinders Ranges Booking Service or FRABS.

Ask for Janet and mention the FJCC Event at Willow Springs Station
    1800 777 880
    or 08 8648 4022

Camping sites have been reserved. Pay on arrival

Cheers

dad
  • #19 by dad on 19 Jan 2018
  • Yep, another Update in keeping with our Organising Teams communication commitment.

Teague Motors at Hawker South Australia have become our latest sponsor with discounted petrol for attending members applying from Thursday 31st May to Friday 8th June.
    Teague Motors also carries supplies, fixes tyres and is the home of the Flinders Ranges Accommodation Service (FRABS). It also has the regions seismograph.

Members are advised to introduce themselves when fuelling up as FJCC members attending the Willow Springs Event. Their staff will be looking for packed up FJ's some towing campers and our FJCC Stickers on the side windows.

So we will be able to fuel-up on the way in and on the way out and maybe have a walk around Hawker if you wish.

Thank you for your kindness John helping us help the Kids with Cancer Foundation
    Authorisation Number 18-1862

Teague's Motors Hawker
    15 Wilpena Road, Hawker South Australia
    08 8648 4014

Teagues Servo:FRABS Hawker.jpgAnniversary Trip of the 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Launch at Skytrek SA June '18
Pages:
Actions