Cruiser

Having trouble registering/logging in?

If you are having trouble registering (eg, after successfully completing the registration process you do NOT see a message displayed advising that an activation email has been sent) or logging in (eg, you receive the message “Sorry, you are out of login chances. Please come back and try again later”) please either try using a different web browser or clear the cache/cookies for “fjcc.com.au” for your current browser and restart it.

(If both workarounds fail click here to contact the forum administrator via email)

Author Topic: ARB Rooftop tent and Touring rack  (Read 2722 times)

SAW.

ARB Rooftop tent and Touring rack
« Reply #25 on: 09-May-17, 17:33 »
Quote from: Shaun;160010
I'm really keen on the Alu cab tent, but it weighs 78kg! Can be mounted to my backbone and pioneer platform on top. Then add me and my partner...gets a bit heavy!

I know the weight off road is a prob but day to day it would be fine I'm guessing?

You will be overloaded offroad, fine on road. Off road you need to reduce the load rating by 1/3 (as per Rhino specs). This brings it down to 80kgs, less the weight of the platform (27.5kg for the 2128 x 1236 platform), puts you at 52.5kg remaining. Enough for a basic roof top tent, but not for the Alu Cab one.

Shaun

« Reply #26 on: 09-May-17, 21:05 »
Quote from: SAW.;160046
You will be overloaded offroad, fine on road. Off road you need to reduce the load rating by 1/3 (as per Rhino specs). This brings it down to 80kgs, less the weight of the platform (27.5kg for the 2128 x 1236 platform), puts you at 52.5kg remaining. Enough for a basic roof top tent, but not for the Alu Cab one.

Ahhh I see. I can mount direct to the back bone and lose the pioneer platform in lieu of the Alu cab cross bars maybe. Not ideal either way.

SAW.

« Reply #27 on: 09-May-17, 21:08 »
Quote from: Shaun;160061
Ahhh I see. I can mount direct to the back bone and lose the pioneer platform in lieu of the Alu cab cross bars maybe. Not ideal either way.

Yes, that way you will effectively gain 27.5kgs of load rating. However bear in mind that the Backbone is rated at 120kgs when used with the Pioneer rack, & may be affected when you mount cross bars or other options.

Shaun

« Reply #28 on: 09-May-17, 21:12 »
Thanks for the info Simon 👍🏻

I can mount direct to the roof similar to basil lynch. Cross bars on the backbone or on the platform.

Given the weight issue it's pointing towards putting it in the to hard basket

GazLaz

« Reply #29 on: 09-May-17, 23:15 »
Quote from: Alloy C/T;160040
A Prado has A and B and C pillars which are integral in weight transfer ,, the FJ not having a B pillar has less capability to carry weight.

The doors when closed are the same as having those pillars, the difference may come from the vehicle geometry  but i would expect the fj to be petty close.

Miles fj

Re: ARB Rooftop tent and Touring rack
« Reply #30 on: 05-Jan-18, 14:36 »
For the people that do have a roof top tent, where do you load it on the rack as to front, middle or rear ? and where is the "opening" side or rear and why ?
If all goes well I will have one tonight with annex  :smileyblink:
My FJ have the custom valving ironman 2 inch lift so suspension should not be a problem
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 05-Jan-18, 15:00 by Miles fj »

dad

« Reply #31 on: 06-Jan-18, 12:17 »
I've seen Rooftoppers in all shapes and sizes over the years, however just a tip.
Don't camp at 1700m in the High country in a totally exposed place. Those Toppers act like a spinnaker .  :scared1:
I spoke to the lovely young couple and noticed their fire was still smouldering from the night before. (embers of snow gum love a 60knot wind)
They said they had a great, calm,  star filled night totally oblivious to what the mountains can do.

Cheers

dad

Blue Rag Car Topper '15.jpgARB Rooftop tent and Touring rack

RedFJC

« Reply #32 on: 06-Jan-18, 23:50 »
I’m confused dad, what happened to them ?

Miles fj

« Reply #33 on: 07-Jan-18, 10:46 »
For the people that do have a roof top tent, where do you load it on the rack as to front, middle or rear ? and where is the "opening" side or rear and why ?
If all goes well I will have one tonight with annex  :smileyblink:
My FJ have the custom valving ironman 2 inch lift so suspension should not be a problem
Thanks in advance

I got my own reply/finding !! as I just put the tent on the roof. I found that rear opening doesn't work because the rear door would be in the way of the ladder so in my case it will be opening on the passenger side. As to the front middle or rear of the rack, I found that the rear of the rack is more practical, this way the passenger door will clear the ladder but mainly because the cover have zipper all around, being fitted at the rear mean that only the front zipper of the cover will be "not the best to access".
I still have to properly attach both rail with their fixation....

dad

« Reply #34 on: 07-Jan-18, 21:32 »
I’m confused dad, what happened to them ?

Not a thing mate, as I said they were totally oblivious to what the mountains can turn on, particularly during the night. We spoke to them and it was their second trip away. They were lucky.

Cheers

dad

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #35 on: 11-Jan-18, 13:27 »
only the front zipper of the cover will be "not the best to access".
Add a length of shoe-lace or some other cord to the zipper, so you can pull it from the other side easier

SkinnySteve

« Reply #36 on: 11-Jan-18, 16:40 »
Early in my FJ owning days (8 months ago now!) I was seriously considering an RTT.  But all of the issues mentioned by the various contributors to this thread turned me off the idea.  I do like to claim my campsite with a tent and then go driving around.  In fact, I sometimes pitch an extra el Cheapo 2-man pup tent just to mark out a bit of extra territory.  I was recently up in the high country camping at horse yard flat next to the Moroka river.  Quite a popular site with the best spots taken by midday.  You wouldn't leave your spot in the morning and expect to find it empty when you got back in the afternoon.

But while I was up on the roof-rack (ARB alu grid type) packing I decided to have a lay down.  I found that with a nice mat it was quite comfortable. I measured over 2 metres internal length of the roof rack and I'm only 1.65m tall.   I am now thinking of rigging my own ultra-lightweight one-man roof top sleeper.  At this stage I'm thinking that a thin marine ply board covered by a standard rubber sleeping mat would only occupy 30mm thickness and weigh a couple of kilos.  Then I would need a waterproof covering - not fully enclosed - held up with a couple of cut down tent poles with a tent pole ridge.  It would not even occupy the full internal width of the rack leaving plenty of room on one side for a gas bottle, the regular tent, recovery gear, table and chairs.  I could even put some of that stuff on top of the board if necessary.

I would only use the roof top for overnighters and a quick snooze in a rest area.

I'll post some photos when I get started.

BirdmanFJ

« Reply #37 on: 12-Jan-18, 13:04 »
Early in my FJ owning days (8 months ago now!) I was seriously considering an RTT.  But all of the issues mentioned by the various contributors to this thread turned me off the idea.  I do like to claim my campsite with a tent and then go driving around.  In fact, I sometimes pitch an extra el Cheapo 2-man pup tent just to mark out a bit of extra territory.  I was recently up in the high country camping at horse yard flat next to the Moroka river.  Quite a popular site with the best spots taken by midday.  You wouldn't leave your spot in the morning and expect to find it empty when you got back in the afternoon.

But while I was up on the roof-rack (ARB alu grid type) packing I decided to have a lay down.  I found that with a nice mat it was quite comfortable. I measured over 2 metres internal length of the roof rack and I'm only 1.65m tall.   I am now thinking of rigging my own ultra-lightweight one-man roof top sleeper.  At this stage I'm thinking that a thin marine ply board covered by a standard rubber sleeping mat would only occupy 30mm thickness and weigh a couple of kilos.  Then I would need a waterproof covering - not fully enclosed - held up with a couple of cut down tent poles with a tent pole ridge.  It would not even occupy the full internal width of the rack leaving plenty of room on one side for a gas bottle, the regular tent, recovery gear, table and chairs.  I could even put some of that stuff on top of the board if necessary.

I would only use the roof top for overnighters and a quick snooze in a rest area.

I'll post some photos when I get started.
Put a swag on your roof

RedFJC

« Reply #38 on: 12-Jan-18, 13:15 »
I was gonna say, they already make a thing called a swag, you can get real cheap ones for about $80 and you’ll be waterproof and comfortable.

SkinnySteve

« Reply #39 on: 12-Jan-18, 14:22 »
I was gonna say, they already make a thing called a swag, you can get real cheap ones for about $80 and you’ll be waterproof and comfortable.

I haven't seen any $80 ones.  At Anaconda or ray's they were over $300

RedFJC

« Reply #41 on: 13-Jan-18, 01:40 »
The exact one I seen dr.